No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Etling swan bookends - pale blue satin/frosted  (Read 5877 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Etling swan bookends - pale blue satin/frosted
« on: July 09, 2019, 02:35:29 PM »
My neighbour asked me to have a look at her book ends as she says she has always wondered about them and now, sadly, she is very close to end of life.  I think she wants to leave the information for her family, so I feel it is even more important to give her as accurate information as I can.  I hadn't seen them until now as they were in her bedroom.

I have never collected this type of glass, so know very little about it and, under the circumstances, I don't have much time to learn.  I found the Etling Project item 211 (link below), which has the same mould and dimensions, but is shown in opalescent glass.  I also found information that some items were made in frosted glass as well.

http://projetetling.wikidot.com/etling211

What I would like to find out is :

1.  I cannot find one showing the base, and I'm not sure what it would look like - does this look right?

2.  Would any other company have produced items using the same mould, or can I safely tell her it is Etling?  Unfortunately, the corner where the number would have been (if there was one on the piece) is damaged on the one I borrowed to research, and I didn't realise that it would matter.  I didn't want to disturb her again today to ask if I could have a look at the other one, as she is resting in bed

3.  The date is "unknown" on the opalescent one on the website, but the style looks very 1920/30s to me.  Would that sort of date fit with what is known about the company?

4.  Is it more accurate to describe them as satin glass or frosted glass?

I would really appreciate any information that I can pass on to her, there is so little that I can do for her now that it would mean a lot to me to be able to do this.

I have been reading Anton's thread on the Etling project, and note that he has requested photographs.  Assuming these are Etling, does anyone know if they are trying to include photographs of all variants, or just the opalescent glass?

Many thanks for any help.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Etling swan bookends - pale blue satin/frosted
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 06:14:54 PM »
I believe you'll find them in the second image in this thread, reply n° 4.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,64091.0.html

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:32:10 PM »
Anne that's really helpful....catalogues again!  I did search the GMB for Etling, but there were too many threads to read them all with the time constraint.

I will see her tomorrow and let her know they were designed by Georges Beal (I don't know how to put the accent over the e on the iPad) for Etling, pre 1932.

I really am very grateful.....thank you.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 06:46:23 PM »
Béal, pronounced Bay-alle  ;D

Glad I could be of help.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 07:16:41 PM »
So how did you put the accent over the e?  I can do it on the laptop but I don't know how in the iPad?
Cat 😺

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 07:48:45 PM »
I don't know about Ipads and Apple as I'm on Microsoft, Surface. With them you just download the different keyboards and languages. My keyboards change from QWERTY to AZERTY with different languages, the only thing that isn't provided is the Ringel S in German, but in that case a double S is sufficient.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 08:13:25 PM »
Cat, press the key and hold it  :)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 08:37:09 PM »
Ekimp - that's brilliant.......it brings up several options.......but nothing I have tried works to actually get it to drop into the text.  I feel like such a dinosaur......hard to believe I used to do tech support for 60 people!  What do I need to do after I press and hold?
Cat 😺

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 09:18:17 PM »
Not glass  ;D ...but without lifting your finger, slide your finger up to the character you want, then let go.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »
Béal.......YAY!  Thank you!!!!!
Cat 😺

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand