No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano biomorphic bowl  (Read 3107 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Murano biomorphic bowl
« on: July 12, 2019, 12:15:07 PM »
This piece was brought back from Italy in the 1960s.  Approx. 18cm in dia.  Has lots of silver and some gold foil, as well as lovely opal glass inclusions.  Completely flat base with appropriate wear marks.

I have tried to pin down a maker, which I can see may not be possible.

The shape made me think Barovier Toso, but the pieces I have found appear a little more "restrained".  Considered AVeM, but there are no lattice pieces in the glass, and I have not seen many clear cased pieces, so I am not convinced.  Thinking maybe Vetro Artistico Veneziano E Murano, but thought it best to post it here for the real Murano experts' opinions.

Even if it isn't AVeM, would this be called Tutti-Frutti? 

Many thanks.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Murano biomorphic bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 03:22:31 AM »
I don't think you would call it tutti-fruiti because it appears to have a particular structure to it and less randomness.

There are too many who could have made it apart from the different colours inserted which makes it a bit different.
Maybe someone else will have ideas but although I have a few bowls and vases with silver in them that takes you nowhere.

Just a thought if it has glass Ω shaped curves on the sides it is possible that it could be SvDA. Your photo #4 gave me the idea but it is not obvious in your photo's.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline jonspencer

• Members
  • slowly learning more about local glass
    • lighting
    • Italy
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 04:16:06 PM »
so just to clarify from our similar posts

the "biomorphic" is the shape of the bowl?

my bowl has clear "horse shoe" shaped like handles referred to here on four sides but the design scheme is different, another poster said it was combing  design

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »
It does refer to the overall, fairly randomly lobed shape.
The rounded, pulled out lobes are similar in appearance to an amoeba morphing around in liquid under a microscope.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 05:30:32 AM »
Gosh Sue, you are soooo! sophisticated. I could never come up with something like that.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 09:14:27 AM »
Ardy's, thank you for your comments.  I had discounted Seguso as I hadn't been able to find anything quite as colourful or random with a firm attribution.  I suspect I will have to settle for a generic "Murano" attribution.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »
I have a background working in labs with biological stuff, Ardy. The strange things you can see with microscopes can be quite inspiring, artistically.  ;D
But I'm pretty sure that is where the expression bio-morphic originates from - to morph means to change shape. Amoebas change shape, pushing out lobes which envelop food particles, making shapes exactly like these bowls along the way. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand