No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Phoenician Glass vase dated 1988  (Read 5503 times)

Offline Nannycamera

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Family and Maltese Glass
    • UK
Phoenician Glass vase dated 1988
« on: July 18, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
Hi everyone, I spotted this little pink vase on Ebay recently and was intrigued to see it was dated 1988 as I had always understood Phoenician Glass started in 1989? I bought it anyway because it was cheap and I liked the unusual colours and design which reminded me of what Mdina Glass were producing at that time.  I contacted Phoenician Glass and was delighted to receive a response from the owner who confirmed that it was indeed a very early piece produced while the factory were still based on Manoel Island. They moved afterwards to Ta Qali where their factory has been based since. He also confirmed the process used to produce the vase which was a white base with external pink colour applied and coloured molten roda (rods). I wondered if anyone has early Phoenician Glass pieces produced while they were based on Manoel Island in the 80's as I have not seen this process from Phoenician Glass before?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Phoenician Glass vase dated 1988
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 04:28:41 PM »
It looks a little like an old surface decoration technique called... "something-which-has-briefly-escaped-me".
(It will come back when I'm not thinking about it. Leni and Marinka collected it. Old, frilly, white stuff with random pink, blue and yellow canes on.)

Not something I've seen on any Phoenician before.  :)
You seem to have picked up on some slightly less well-known things which I've been interested in too.  ;)
I'm very impressed with the quality of the work from Phoenician - and how imaginative they have been in taking and pushing designs further with their own ideas, rather than sticking to "variations on a theme of the original Harris designs".
Even their very small pieces are more like proper miniatures, with all the details reduced in size, not just a "small version".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Nannycamera

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 06:29:38 PM »
The canes on this little vase are brown and white, the owner of Phoenician Glass said it was a "collectors piece". I seem to have a knack for spotting little oddities like this. I have been collecting Maltese glass for over 40 years so I must have developed the eye! lol. I have a growing collection from not only the pieces I bring back every time I visit Malta, which is a lot! I also browse Ebay, car boots and charity shops and find pieces that way. I dont have a huge budget or never ending shelves so I generally buy bits that catch my eye.  I read somewhere that the founder of Phoenician was an apprentice at Mdina, I can certainly see the similarities. I have a pair of gorgeous Phoenician fish one which is flecked heavily with gold and agree that Phoenician have developed their own style.  This is the earliest piece I have of Phoenician Glass but I will definitely keep looking.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:34:54 PM »
Peloton. That's the name for the decor of little bits of canes.
I knew it would come back. :-)
I've only been at it for 20 years. I don't visit Malta.

There's a couple of pics of the shelves in my sitting room on this page. Scroll down a little for mine - but there are other folks' pretty things to see while there too. :)

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,39041.20.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Nannycamera

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 06:41:08 PM »
Forgot to add that I recently spotted a lovely Phoenician Black Net Silver vase on Ebay and just had to have it.

Offline Nannycamera

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »
Was trying to post Black Net Silver vase.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand