No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Greener & Co Footed Bowl with RD 96776 (Rustic Handle?)  (Read 6904 times)

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Greener & Co Footed Bowl with RD 96776 (Rustic Handle?)
« on: July 27, 2019, 06:19:32 PM »
I have this Greener & Co footed bowl, which looks similar to the rd no 95935 pattern but has "Rd No 96776" (which is the rustic handle) impressed into the base.

It looks as though the Rd No has been hand carved into the mould, and I'm wondering if the wrong number was put in.

Does anybody know anything more about this pattern, or just generally about the numbering?

For information purposes, the bowl measures 5.75" across the top and stands 5.25" tall.

Thank you,
Lindsey

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Greener & Co Footed Bowl with RD 96776 (Rustic Handle?)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »
Here are some photos of the matching Greener & Co. RD 96776  (registered 27 March 1888) footed  creamer to your sugar bowl.

(Permission to use these images on the GMB granted by jay1982r).

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 11:00:45 AM »

Lindsey, There seems to be some [unresolved?] confusion generally as to the RD no. of  twig-shaped Greener 'rustic handle'.

Jenny Thompson (p15 of 'The Identification of English Pressed Glass 1842-1908') describes Greener & Co.'s RDs 96775/6, both registered on 27 March 1888, as "(Rustic handle)", but without being clear which of the two RDs is the rustic handle design and what the other may be. The only definitive answer would seem to be the what is shown on the original design details and representations themselves (but unfortunately I don't have copies of these to hand).

RDs 95935 and 96776 often occur together on rustic-handled Greener 'baskets ' with 96776 on the handle and 95935 on the body of the basket even though the bodies may have differing patterns.

Thompson describes RD 95935 (registered 16 March 1888) as "Partly imit. cut. Part of pattern included in 98551." [RD 98551 of 21 April 1888 is that complex mish-mash of Japanesque patterns decribed by Thompson simply as "Japanese Influence"].

Way back in 2007, as reply #7 to https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,9169.msg77765.html#msg77765
concerning a glass cake basket (apparently unmarked) with a twig-like rustic handle, Bernard C said :
This is by Greener.   Early examples carry the first Greener trademark, a demi-rampant lion rising from a twisted rope, facing left, and carrying a star in its right (upper) paw.   According to Thompson, this TM was in use c.1875 to '85.   Most examples I have seen do carry this TM, although it can be very worn indeed, and you have to use a lot of detective work to find it!
The handle is a close match to Greener's registered design No. 96775 or 96776 of 27 March 1888, so replacement moulds could carry this number, typically located around one end of the handle, but I've never seen one on this particular pattern.   Nevertheless it's a possibility, so I always have a look.
Around this time Greener had a policy of registering parts of designs, and then combining them.   Some of their baskets carry as many as three different registration numbers, all well hidden.   Many don't find any;  some find one and then stop looking.    These are great fun and interesting and quite a small collection shows the different ways they combined designs.

Some pics at
https://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-24489
https://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-24493

Fred.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 02:17:54 PM »
Thank you very much Fred.  Definitely no rustic handle on the creamer!

It was good to see the detail of the design on the base of the 95935 basket too.  Whilst there are similarities, it is most definitely different.

Best Wishes,
Lindsey

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 12:50:00 PM »
Here is a link on some of our small rustic handle items there’s also some pictures of large baskets in the gallery. There’s lots of variations believe me as my mum collected them.
Fred is correct many of the large baskets have registered numbers for both handles and the pattern on the plate. And many are are not marked at all.  Cheers Mike

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,67658.msg376794.html#msg376794

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 06:35:12 PM »
Jenny Thompson (p15 of 'The Identification of English Pressed Glass 1842-1908') describes Greener & Co.'s RDs 96775/6, both registered on 27 March 1888, as "(Rustic handle)", but without being clear which of the two RDs is the rustic handle design and what the other may be. The only definitive answer would seem to be the what is shown on the original design details and representations themselves (but unfortunately I don't have copies of these to hand).

I've just checked Jenny Thompson again and she shows the design representation for RD 96775 of 17 March 1888 on page 13, so RD 96775 definitely is for the rustic handle.

Fred.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
Thanks Fred.

If I manage to get to Kew in September I'll try to look up 96776.

best wishes,
Lindsey

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 02:01:20 PM »
never sure it's a good thing to bring up these old posts, but if nothing else is saves linking them with new thoughts if it's done the other way round.

Assume you never got to Kew Lindsey ??        Now attaching TNA picture of the factory drawing for Greener & Co.'s Registration 95935 from 16th March 1888  -  the same image is shown in Jenny Thompson's book but it lacks some sharpness.
Presumably Greener's preoccupation with producing patterns in imitation of cut glass was simply a way of capitalizing on the then current fashion of cut glass, but certainly they seem to have been obsessed with the idea judging by the amount of separate designs they knocked out.

I could be very wrong as I'm not too well up on pressed glass, but it appears that we don't have a picture of the factory drawing for 98551 ??  -  so next visit to Kew I will try and get that one, but if I'm wrong do shout as it will save me time.                  It may also be that we still need the factory drawing picture for 96776  -  correct me if I'm wrong please.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 01:57:29 PM »
Thank you Paul.

This is where we ended up discussing it recently.  It seems I hijacked my own thread over there!  ::)

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,70593.msg394801.html#msg394801

And no, I didn't make it to Kew (yet).  Lockdown intervened, and now I'm heading back to Uni. So it will probably be another year before I get there.  :-\

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 03:22:36 PM »
Lindsey  -  you're obviously way ahead of me on this Greener situation  -  to recap then         ................  we have a Kew picture for 95935.          Are you now happy that you understand the correct allocation of the other related Greener Rd. Nos., or is it of any benefit that I get 96775- 76 and 98551  -  I shall be there in vastly less than a year ;)         Obviously no point in me snapping those if you are completely satisfied now with the Registration situation.            If only they'd been prior to January 1884  ............ :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand