No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: First post...and it's about Murano Ducks! (again)  (Read 16042 times)

Offline escmode

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
First post...and it's about Murano Ducks! (again)
« on: August 02, 2019, 12:52:38 AM »
This is my first post, so hey all. I recently lost my job and having worked at home since 2002 the thought of having to find a real job both scares and depresses the sh*t out of me.

On the positive side it has motivated me to set-up a small business and I've recently started selling vintage on etsy. I'm building my knowledge, albeit slowly, so sometimes need a helping-hand ID'ing, hence why I'm here.

I have these 2 Murano glass birds… and I’m not sure of a number of things. I did search the forum and went through around 30 (of the 100 found) results.Mmost were very old and many of the image links were broken. Wish the search showed an image preview!

So.... questions...

1.   Are they Ducks or Goose?
2.   Artist? They were sold to me as Alfredo Barbini but I’ve found other very similar pieces being quoted as made by Archimede Seguso. I’m starting to think they are neither, and likely mass produced for export.
3.   Would you say value is more than £25 / $30 / €27? (can we talk about values here?)
4.   I’ve read that this duck can be seen on Page 147 Of Leslie Pina's Book, Archimede Seguso: Mid-Mod Glass From Murano. Does anyone have this book that could be so kind as to check?
5.   Is the technique Sommerso? Having read a description, I’m not convinced.
6.   I’ve included a close-up of the label, which I believe is the same generic label as shown in row 13 here: https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/glass_labels/glass_labels.htm
7.   Is the date likely to be the early 70’s?

Thanks very much for taking the time to read… and double thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: First post...and it's about Murano Ducks! (again)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »
Hello and welcome! :)
I think they're ducks.  I'm sure somebody will be able to help, but this isn't really my area. They do look to be really well made and an unusual colour combination. I would think they're something good.
Ducks are desirable collectables they should quite happily make their own price in an auction.
We don't really tend to discuss values here, they're too contentious. Something is worth the pirce it makes, in that place, at that time. Checking sold auctions can give you ball-park figures.
You have taken beautiful images of these, and thanks for posting them directly to the board - we won't lose them. They'll stay for reference, for others.  ;D
Have you looked at these under ultra violet light? I suspect they might contain uranium - a desirable feature.

I am so sorry to hear of your scary situation. I am very impressed with your desire to be completely accurate about what you're doing, and your attempts to find out and track down the image of the label you think might be right and show both, before asking!

We'll do all we can to help.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline escmode

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »

You have taken beautiful images of these, and thanks for posting them directly to the board - we won't lose them. They'll stay for reference, for others.  ;D
Have you looked at these under ultra violet light? I suspect they might contain uranium - a desirable feature.

I am so sorry to hear of your scary situation. I am very impressed with your desire to be completely accurate about what you're doing, and your attempts to find out and track down the image of the label you think might be right and show both, before asking!

We'll do all we can to help.  :)

Nice to get a reply from you Sue and understood on the topic of discussing 'worth', I thought that might be the case.

Thank you for your compliments regards the photo's. I really enjoy this part of the process...makes me feel like I'm being creative and making use of my long-forgotten Fine Art degree. I especially loved photographing these two beauties. Whatever pose I put them in they just made the most amazing negative spaces. Got tons more images.

Yea, I think it's important to represent items for sale accurately. I'd genuinely feel a bit crap if I unknowingly mis-sold something. My current issue is I'm taking too long on the whole process. Up to 2 weeks in some cases researching & then photographing... this means I only have about 1/5th of the total pieces I've bought, actually online.

Cheers!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 01:35:44 PM »
Your excellent photography will help your sales, I'm sure.  :)
Please, do ask us anything about glass. We are always delighted to help somebody who wants to be accurate.
Questions are what give rise to interesting discussions and brainstorming about things we're not sure about yet. We'd be utterly useless and get nowhere if folk were not asking questions.
And I'm sure we'd all love to see your photos.  8) 8) 8)
Do that bit,  :) then post them and ask here if you can't find something quickly. Don't drive yourself mad chasing after something for a whole fortnight. You don't need the stress and frustration.  :)

We do have a "sister board" for ceramics. This one is just for glass.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline escmode

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »
Some more images as a cheeky thread 'bump'.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 05:18:48 PM »
In Pina's book on Archimede Seguso, page 147, there is a red and amber bird with an outstretched neck described as Sommerso water bird. As to duck or goose (I had swan down for one) perhaps it is in the eye of the beholder.... Anyway, that water bird has the same characteristics (apart from the stance) as your two, I think the following are from the same flock as well.

They are sommerso - one colour submerged in another, where the glass is stretched to shape the effect is diluted.

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
Mmm, less sure about my blue and green 'duck', might be a different maker.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »
It's got a puffed out chest the other hasn't. But that just makes it look duckier.  :)
Is that a distinctive style by any particular maker/s?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
Murano is sometimes a bit of an identification minefield. Many makers sharing studio spaces and workers etc, those hard and fast divisions we like can be difficult to find. 

All these birds have a tummy tuck, it is more pronounced on the duck.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 07:46:40 PM »
Thanks. :)
I just remembered I had seen pronounced duck "puffed out" chests before.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand