No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: First post...and it's about Murano Ducks! (again)  (Read 16043 times)

Offline escmode

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Re: First post...and it's about Murano Ducks! (again)
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
In Pina's book on Archimede Seguso, page 147, there is a red and amber bird with an outstretched neck described as Sommerso water bird. As to duck or goose (I had swan down for one) perhaps it is in the eye of the beholder.... Anyway, that water bird has the same characteristics (apart from the stance) as your two, I think the following are from the same flock as well.

They are sommerso - one colour submerged in another, where the glass is stretched to shape the effect is diluted.

John

Thanks John for the additional info, I'm feeling reassured that these are Sommerso and ‘likely’ to be Seguso. This is a big ask, but I don’t suppose you could take a photo of page 147 and send the .jpg via PM?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 06:47:12 AM »
Click on the envelope icon below my name on the left and send me an email, I can then reply attaching photos. PMs are not in operation on this message board.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 05:27:53 AM »
Click on the envelope icon below my name on the left and send me an email, I can then reply attaching photos. PMs are not in operation on this message board.
Hi escmode, Don't think they are Archimede Seguso as I have not seen that label on anything of his. Check the labels files at top of the site.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline BDG55

• Members
    • murano
    • USA
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 06:40:02 PM »
Here you go...  Here's an example of your taller piece from my photo files as well as a screenshot of the smaller....   Classic Archimede Seguso... Rick

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2m1abvmee/

Offline BDG55

• Members
    • murano
    • USA
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 10:13:39 PM »
Mmm, less sure about my blue and green 'duck', might be a different maker.

No need to guess John, the tall one is in fact by A. Seguso but in an ucommon color/shape combination. In a case like this, with very few comparables available, you need to look at markers Seguso used on these birds.

Fortunately, he used some easily identifiable design elements spread over different forms. I've attached a few screenshots as well a Seguso "Family" I sold a while back, and when you take them  in their entirety, you can see the similarities between those and yours leaving little doubt as to its Seguso attribution.  Rick

https://postimg.cc/gallery/vidvys7a/

Offline escmode

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »
Here you go...  Here's an example of your taller piece from my photo files as well as a screenshot of the smaller....   Classic Archimede Seguso... Rick

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2m1abvmee/

Fantastic... thanks muchly for sharing those images Rick. Following the comment just prior to yours, I was starting to doubt again.

What do you make of the labels on mine though? (photos in first post).

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 01:13:36 PM »
Thanks Rick very useful, it has been a while since I last handled that duck, easier to be confident about an attribution when you have the item to hand.

Labels could be applied by an importer or retailer especially if they were trying to create their own brand. Some retailers did not want manufacturers marks or label present at all.

Offline Phlugg

• Members
  • Really?
    • Murano figurines
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 11:05:28 PM »
I think they are lovely birds. However, you have to be really careful ascribing a particular piece to a particular glass master without a signature - and then you need to convince your self it is an original signature, and look at all the other features, colours, techniques, etc.

Masters and studios always talk about how their figures, water fowl, fish etc are inspired by the wild life they see around them in the beautiful Venice lagoon. However, i collect mid-20th C Murano, especially birds and fish and although some of them are stunningly beautiful - I certainly can’t be certain what species of bird quite a few of them are. OK, some are straightforward but a lot seem to involve a lot of artistic license.

In this case you can be certain they are somerso, you can be very confident they are Murano, both by the look of them and the label.

However, the label points away from Seguso and I can’t see an exporter peeling off a Seguso label to replace it with a generic studio art label.

The colours look more modern than I would have expected for Archimede Seguso, but it’s hard to tell in a photo.

I have visited Murano to research the source of some of my un-labelled collection - and found just one furnace making the exact same pattern, but with different colours. It does not help that a kind of retro fashion is popular in Murano now and there are many furnaces making very similar patterns and colours to those made in the 50’s.

What I also saw was how many furnaces are making near identical pieces making it impossible to trace a given piece back to a given studio without some other verification like a certificate, signature, or very distinctive technique.

So I would be reluctant to confidently describe your ducks as Archimede Seguso or even as Seguso when there are several elements of doubt.

I would confidently describe them as beautiful Murano, somerso, ducks, probably Mid to late 20th Century, and celebrate their beauty for what they are.
Can you prove it?

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 10:29:28 PM »
Hi Just had a look at Leslie Pina's book and they look very similar. Their appears to be so many ducks etc on sale it is hard to definitively ID. They A.S. ones all have a plumped up chest or belly which is quite pronounced. They appear to me to be very well made so I suspect they are not mass market stuff.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand