No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red glass vase  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Zajit

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • Netherlands
Red glass vase
« on: August 17, 2019, 12:47:58 PM »
Who will help me find the designer and factory of this vase.
Height 24.5 cm
wide: top 5 cm  bottom without the transparent parts appr.6 cm
Many thanks in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Red glass vase
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »
Val St Lambert has done a similar model in 1965, design by Pierre Dias. I need to have a look what I can find. It is perfectly acceptable for this period that your vase is not signed.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Zajit

• Members
    • Glass
    • Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 08:57:18 AM »
Dear Anne,
I'm very happy with this answer. It helps me to search, looking by Vval st. Lambert. Your from België spreek je Nederlands?
Kind Regards,
Met vriendelijke groet,
Magreeth

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
Dag Margreeth,

Yes I do speak Dutch, born & raised just north of A'dam but left the country some 30 years ago or so. I'm starting having difficulties with the language now  :D I have lived in the UK for several years and now here in french speaking part of Belgium since 2000.

I'm adding a sketch of your vase by Dias, unfortunately I haven't found a catalogue image or reference in a book at the moment, but I'll continue searching. The sketch shows this model as a bit more plumb and 'heavy' on the eye, but it is a sketch of course and scanned perhaps a couple of times, so the shape might be slightly different from the real thing.

This model comes from  a period in which 'Les Tordus' range was introduced. Large and heavy freeform pieces in bright colours, each the weight of a dead donkey. A production which was very popular at the time but unfortunately 'milked' by management in the 60/70's, resulting in one of the first bankruptcies in the 2nd half of the 20th C and a huge amount of these pieces  on the market, you still see them everywhere today. I'm sure you have come across them in the past, bright blue, pink, green and yellow.

Your vase is slightly different with the applications wrapped around the body of the vase which makes it stand out a bit from the mass, i haven't seen this shape often but it is still part of this period and production.

Mvg,

Anne.

Offline Zajit

• Members
    • Glass
    • Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 09:53:33 AM »
Dear Anne, I also started searching and I found a lot that seems to be an honor. Did You draw the sketch yourself? The vase that I have looks more exactly. The raspberry-red color is fantastic. Maybe You or I will find another image in a catalog. I will keep you informed and again,
With kind regards,
 Magreeth

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »
No I didn't  draw the sketch myself, I'm terrible when it comes to art work   ::) it is a copy of the sketch by Pierre Dias, in-house designer and glass artist at VSL at the time who made it. Once again, sketches can be slightly different from the final product, this sketch might have been copied before in the past and that changes details a bit. In the end, a sketch is just an idea, it is not an official catalogue image you see?

I found a lot that seems to be an honor

I'm sorry but I'm not  sure what you are saying here … say it in Dutch if you like  ;D

Offline Zajit

• Members
    • Glass
    • Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 10:51:53 AM »
Beste Anne,
Ik zei: Ik hou je op de hoogte van mijn research. It means I stay in contact with you. I let you know if I find  something out.
Lieve groet,
Magreeth

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 10:56:26 AM »
I understood that Margreeth  ;) I just didn't get what you meant with ' I found a lot that seems to be an honor'. …

I'll let you know what I have found too.

Offline Zajit

• Members
    • Glass
    • Netherlands
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
My mistake, I mean something that looks like. My English is not so  bad/best :-))

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »
No problem, I understand. I was just worried that it was a error in typing and 'honor' was supposed to be … well something else.

I haven't found the vase but I found the lamp version of this design, bottom left, model 'Eclair'. Obviously VSL was less gifted when it came to choice of lampshades.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand