No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edinburgh Crystal marks  (Read 3805 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Edinburgh Crystal marks
« on: August 21, 2019, 07:31:04 PM »
Anyone seen a piece with the acid etched mark applied backwards.....as though a stencil was used the wrong way up?  I have a couple of highball glasses where the mark only reads the right way when you look through the glass.

The other feature I haven't seen before is the dots (shown as asterisks below)

EDINBURGH
*CRYSTAL*

Just curious!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Edinburgh Crystal marks
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 07:36:27 PM »
I don't think the "backwards" one is anything unusual. They were certainly making the marks like that when I bought a set of wineglasses as a wedding present in the early '90s.
I noticed then that the mark could be read while the glass is in use.  ;D

I don't know anything about the crystal in dots.
It might be the convention or name used for outsourced stuff?
Like Waterford uses the name Marquis for their outsourced goods?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 10:50:25 PM »
Thanks Sue, Outsourced might be it, a different Mark to differentiate pieces.  Only other thing I came up with, after posting, was that they might be seconds, which is unlikely in light of the wedding gift.  It really was just curiosity as it was the first time I'd seen it, and I appear to have quite a few Edinburgh glasses.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 10:10:55 AM »
When I bought them it was before I got into glass. I'm from Edinburgh and knew the name equates with quality. The mark actually annoyed me a lot. I'd have preferred it to have been discretely placed under the stem. It was on the rim of the base. I'm not one of those folk who pays to turn themselves into advertising billboards wearing " brands", it's not something I equate with quality  ;D and I'm sure I made comments about it when buying them. The mark being backwards as well as badly placed was certainly something that stuck in my memory.
I am familiar with most of the older Edinburgh marks - the dots are a new thing to me, so I assumed these might be newer.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand