No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Glass fish vase  (Read 2817 times)

Offline newbie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Malta
Mdina Glass fish vase
« on: August 22, 2019, 04:31:11 PM »
I just acquired this Mdina Glass piece which I remember were popular in the 70s and 80s in Malta.

Can anyone help with approximate dating and identification of the signature (if this is meant to represent anyone, as I have read that such signatures do not necessarily reflect the artist. Any information on the origin of design and glass colours used would also be helpful.

Aprox dimensions are 24cm max. width and 26cm height.

Thanks.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina Glass fish vase
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 05:17:53 PM »
This shape of Fish, with very angular corners, was introduced by Said, based on the much more rounded shape of the ones designed by Michael Harris.
The mark on the base was written by Marie, Boffo's niece, who worked in the packaging department and made some of the "artist marks" on pieces deemed good enough to require one.
Most of these marks were made by Eric Dobson, the manager.
I'd imagine there are very roughly 10 Dobson marks for each 1 of Marie's.
VERY roughly. It's not something I've worked out or counted - just an approximate gut feel.   ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline newbie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Malta
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 05:41:43 PM »
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Would Said input in the design mean that this was probably done after MH left Malta in 1972, or it could still have been done prior to that?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 06:00:25 PM »
Probably after. It took a little while for him to become good enough to make this sort of thing, even given Joseph learned and got very good very quickly.
And this seems to be quite a big one. Probably from sometime around mid-'70s onwards.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand