No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Victorian Overshot Glass Jug with ice holder  (Read 3626 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Large Victorian Overshot Glass Jug with ice holder
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2022, 02:03:23 PM »
The Neuwelt Eisglas version of the jug in the book page 175 and dated c.1865 is what appears to be the same dekor and design as this powder box/sugar bowl linked to below although the Brandenberg museum have it as Schachtenbach:

https://brandenburg.museum-digital.de/object/6155

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2022, 05:06:27 PM »
Ekimp, thanks for providing the info from the book!
And m for the links!

My conclusion so far is that this style of glass was very popular during the late 1900s, and produced in many glassworks around the world. If there are no other features like coloured glass elements or distinctive enameled decoration, it is difficult to find out the maker...

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2022, 09:57:00 AM »
  Some further info on Sandwich overshot. I have a copy of a catalog used in the Boston & Sandwich Glass Co. offices c.1874. It consist of period photographs of good quality with black background. 79 pages in all. Two pages are devoted to overshot. Of the two pictures of bladder jugs shown both are the standard shape in question. One has the handle attached below the bladder the other above. Handles are fairly standard nothing fancy. Although the baskets have clear twisted handles much taller than the baskets themselves.
  On May 3, 1877, the Crockery and Glass Journal printed a report sent to them by their New York correspondent. He had visited the Boston & Sandwich showroom located at 23 Barclay street in New York City. After a lengthy discussion  of all the glass he had seen, he discussed frosted glassware [ the term used at the time for overshot], including flower baskets, finger bowls with underplates, champagne jugs [ pitchers with ice bladders ] and punch bowls. He wrote that all these items were fully equal to those imported from abroad, and that the champagne cooler commended itself to those who preferred wine without water.

As to pontils ground or otherwise I have no information.I assume they were left rough unless it protruded to much. One standard pitcher in the previously mentioned guide was machined on the bottom to level it.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2023, 03:33:04 PM »
There are a couple of the jugs with ice pockets in the Baccarat 1916 catalogue, they call them ‘brocs à glace’. Looks like they are probably overshot.

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Baccarat-1916-br-Services-de-T.55+B6YmFja1BJRD01NSZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9MjA2OCZwaWRfcHJvZHVjdD01NSZkZXRhaWw9.0.html
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2023, 04:02:03 PM »
That's a great find and thanks for the link Ekimp.  I agree that is overshot glass -  the two on the right hand.

Interesting to note the different positions of the ice glass holder - above the handle and under the handle on various versions.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2023, 09:39:12 PM »
Just looking for something else as you do.

Bit inconvenient to have the pocket behind the handle you would think…but as long as it looks good :D
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2023, 09:52:36 PM »
but possibly makes it easier to lift and utilise with the handle being stronger?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand