No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Identify this MDINA GLASS MALTA piece, Please.  (Read 2971 times)

Offline SoCalGal951

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Help Identify this MDINA GLASS MALTA piece, Please.
« on: August 24, 2019, 03:12:23 AM »
This piece is signed, dated and labeled. The heart has a "shallow well" in the center. Does anyone know how the heart would be used? What its purpose is? it weighs 1.7 oz. and its dimensions are 1.5" x 1.5". Too light and too small for a paper weight. I thought perhaps an inkwell??? I haven't any idea! Please advise if you have any information regarding this piece of Malta Art Glass.
The heart is signed, Mdina and dated 69. The heart, also has a clear label on the back. Please refer to the photos. Thank You in advance...

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Help Identify this MDINA GLASS MALTA piece, Please.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 07:06:01 AM »
Hello and welcome. 

What a little curiosity you have.  Probably too small for a tea light holder, but would it take a candle?

I haven't ever seen a plastic label on what would be a very early Mdina piece if the 69 refers to a date - Mdina glass started in 1968 -  and it would be interesting to see the base without it.  There are some serious Mdina collectors on the GMB, so let's wait to see what they think.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 11:06:18 AM »
With a plastic label, it dates to sometime into the '90s or later.
A candleholder, I'd think. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline createdbear

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 08:34:42 PM »
It's a candle holder and modern (white plastic stcker). They can be seen on the Mdina glass website. Go to the site and type in heart and you'll see a couple. I hope that helps.

Offline SoCalGal951

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 02:54:18 AM »
Thank you everyone for advice and replies. The heart has been identified as a Mini Candleholder. I dared to remove the plastic label, carefully, to uncover the date. What I thought was a "69" is an "09". Are all of Mdina Art Glass pieces signed, "Mdina"?

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »
Ahhhh......that makes more sense.  Could we see a picture of the unlabelled base?  Not all Mdina is marked.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand