No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: charity shop finds.  (Read 21731 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
charity shop finds.
« on: August 26, 2019, 10:26:57 PM »
It surprised me to see that a few days of charity shop searching in 2019 could still provide glass of reasonable interest - these were collected over couple of weeks and for a total outlay of about £15  -  though I always disliked the habit of people who said "look what I found for small beer" - it smacks of boastfulness, and now here am I doing the same, though all will go back to the charity shop shortly.        Obviously the stuff is still out there.
Am sure everyone knows what most of these are, so no need to waste a ton of ink with details, other than to say ……………...

the only piece I know almost nothing about is the barrel-shaped optic ribbed green vase - I'd suggest late art deco in style, but beyond that no idea.        It lacks a pontil scar/depression so possibly dip-moulded which was common in the thirties for producing this type of moulded effect  -  it doesn't respond to u.v. and lacks clear casing but has good base wear.           Horizontal ribbing is seen on many pieces of pre 1940s glass and from some of the big makers, but this I'm almost certain will remain without an attribution.      I'm a big fan of this kind of decorative effect and anything really with a connection to the deco period.

The 'Jacobean' bucket shaped vase has the mirror finish to the base, which those in the know suggest means a Czechoslovakian origin from Inwald, so perhaps we should refer to it as Schrotter's 'Lord' rather than Clayton Mayers choice of 'Jacobean'.          Many of the nearly 300 different shapes can still be seen in charity shops and boot sales - everything from egg cups to the elusive and very rare table lamp  -  I've never seen this vase, if that's what it is, but mine is incomplete  -  there are internal supports moulded into the wall low down, so guess this one is missing a frog or support of some kind.

The Sommerso is unusually tall at 12 inches and in the typical deep green with pale amber outer  - sorry the picture is worse than useless, but it's the square section design with more sharp edges than you can shake a stick at - so often these things have flea bites, but this one is perfect.

I can never see the appeal of the Rose Bowl, and yet apparently it remained popular and was included in several of the later ranges - how were you supposed to use it - perhaps only the head of the rose was cut and then laid on water  -  but it's boring in the extreme, and always makes me think of No. 2's seat in the Prisoner.

The piece of more interest is the almost gold/amber baluster shaped controlled bubble vase with Elwell's silver label - but did Nazeing make this one for Elwell? -  it would have been the 1950s if it is 'right'.        Unfortunately, Elwell used his labels - including the one shown here - on glass he bought from other makers, and according to Geoffrey Timberlake's book Elwell is known to have purchased from Graystan, W/Fs, T/Webb, Stuart plus some Czech. factories and likely from other sources.         I can't find this shape or colour in Timberlake's book  -  I did wonder if it might have been from the Water Lily Suite which is certainly a 1950s collection and was a controlled bubble decorated line - but no particular reason for a real connection other than the bubbles.               The piece has a quality polished pontil depression, and appears not to be clear cased.
Probably will never know it's origin, but if someone does have good info then it would be useful to know.                It's about 6.5 inches tall (c. 165 mm).                 Quite a coincidence that potentially the first picture includes two pieces from Nazeing.

thanks for reading and sorry the post is probably too long, but thought these small beer purchases might show it's still worth getting out there and looking.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: charity shop finds.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 11:21:47 PM »
Maybe it's the summer Holidays Paul, I've managed to find some nice pieces the last couple of weeks.  I think you have to take the view that someone is going to buy these, so why not you?  It is a shame that the charity shops can't spend a day (or more) researching one item but, as a past volunteer who wanted to do that with a lot of items, I had to accept that they need volume and can only pull a few known items for auction.  admittedly, a lot of what I buy goes back 🙄

Have you tried searching for your green optic vase using "beehive glass vase"?  I have an amber one in a box, not yet unpacked, and I made a note of the maker somewhere after finding it online.  It would be quicker for you to look than to wait for me to find the vase or the note!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 01:44:41 AM »
Nice haul!  Is the wee pale blue speckled one at the front a Caithness bowl, Paul?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 07:28:24 AM »
apologies again that the first picture is poor - and yes, the small sliced cut blue speckled piece is Caithness - it's apparently referred to as a 'Rose Bowl' and was made in a variety of plain colours and some sort of blotchy colour, from memory.          I see them rarely, despite the fact that you'd imagine they were made commonly.

thanks for the link to a W/Fs amber/gold bubble vase.           Unfortunately, it's a common failing to use this rather lose generic description of 'amber/gold plus controlled bubbles' as a way of defining something as being from that factory - and if there's a polished pontil depression, then for some folk this is a real clincher.
I always remember when I started out collecting that there was a not uncommon similar coloured largish bucket vase with flanged rim that was always being described as W/Fs, but according to the experts wasn't, despite these aforesaid features  -  so we have to be careful.
Mind you, if we can find my piece in a W/Fs catalogue, plus corroboration from a W/Fs expert, then you can tell me "I told you so".:-)
My uneducated eye doesn't see W/Fs quality in this baluster vase - but who knows maybe you're correct.

Also appreciate the suggestion of 'beehive glass vase'  -  will look when I get the time.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 08:25:24 AM »
Paul, My first thought on the Amber vase was Webb's, and I came across the whitefriars link when following the Webb trail.  As you know, it is always easier when you can handle a piece, than just working from a picture.  I consider 20thcenturyglass a reliable source, and only posted the link as they gave a model number which can be linked to a catalogue where you would be able to see what other shapes were made in the  same range and compare measurements.  If it's a question of the quality of the piece, I wouldn't expect it to be Webb's either.
Cat 😺

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
thanks - I wasn't knocking your information source in any way, I'm sure they're reliable, and I've looked at the W/Fs catalogue pages many times over the years, and will do so again for this one.              Is it the case that we don't have any W/Fs buffs here anymore  -  in view of our exchange of words I'd have thought one of them might have looked in.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »
If your wee Caithness bowl is 80mm across then it's a Whispers small bowl, Paul. They came in four colours: Azure, Jade, Apricot and Rose. I still have one each of the latter two, had an Azure that went to someone else, and have never seen a Jade one (yet!).

Rose bowls are bigger and have a grill across the top of them to support the blooms and stop them tipping sideways when they are top heavy.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 07:53:54 AM »
Must apologise Anne, as the quality of my picture is so poor that I have misled you regarding shape, as can be seen from your links - very sorry.   
Giving a little rein to the imagination, it does remind me of the 1960s Scandi designed moulded 'ball chair' (as in The Prisoner) - the rim is angled at something like 40 degrees and isn't level across the bowl as in traditional rose bowls which, as you say, do have metal grills.      Am sure you will now know to which design I'm referring  -  I can post a vastly better picture of this piece if you wish, but probably now unnecessary.        My reference source is Mark Hill's 'Caithness Glass - Loch, Heather & Peat' from 2011 - short of reading the entire text I've no idea if Whispers design is included - possibly not.

Mark's booklet also answers my question about the flower - looking at images in the booklet it appears you simply remove the head and shove into said bowl, though whether you include water I'm not sure.              I'm also a big fan of traditional cut glass rose bowls with grill.

Mark's publication is very useful if you collect Caithness  -  I've no idea if anyone on the Board ever reviewed his offering, and my only criticism would be that in his wisdom he decided not to include an index - surely an essential part of any good reference work  -  even if it's only a 'booklet'.     No idea if there was a revised or second edition.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 01:43:40 PM »
as I made a cods of the first effort on this Caithness piece - here it is again.               The darker image used led lighting, and the accurate one was fluorescent strip - amazing difference.    Apologies again Anne.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand