No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: charity shop finds.  (Read 21747 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: charity shop finds.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 08:51:43 PM »
I think the large turquoise one is Nazeing iirc (I have one and bizarrely it's one of my favourite pieces because the colour is great in a multi colour and lit display).

The amber bubbled one? I think it's Stevens and Williams but that's just my personal opinion.

m

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 09:15:27 PM »
M, you did it again.  I discounted Stevens and Williams as they weren't included in Paul's list of Elwell's suppliers.  However, there is a green one here and it has the bonus of the same label.  They have attributed it to Keith Murray, but don't give any reference.

https://scottishantiques.com/british?product_id=20692
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 09:46:10 PM »

I think it was made by Stevens and Williams but iirc, there is some issue about evidence of what they made for Elwell.  By that I mean, it has an Elwell label and the shape and design looks like S&W but I seem to recall that there is no primary evidence for that.  I could be wrong though.  Doesn't mean they didn't make it. Just that without primary evidence to support that we are in the land of 'probably by'.
I don't know about the one you linked to.  Is it in the Keith Murray design books? Again if my memory serves me correctly there was a separate set of these designs maybe?

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 10:18:14 PM »
many thanks to both of you - especially for the alleged S. & W. attribution for the amber vase (possibly Keith Murray)  -  as you say, a great shame that Scottish Antiques omit a reference source for this provenance.                           R.S. Williams-Thomas book 'The Crystal Years (A Tribute To S. & W. etc.)' contains mostly high end historic pieces, art glass and specialities, and includes nothing like this vase - but assuming the S. & W. origin genuine and since they were selling to a glass dealer then likely such material wouldn't have been considered suitable for the book  -  the index in said book omits any reference to Elwell.     
With the greatest of respect to Scottish Antiques whom I rate highly - I was an occasional customer in the days when I paid real money for glass - I would want a positive reference source for this attribution.          I've no reason to doubt the information, but IMHO it would be common sense to have such information before laying out £140, and it might be worth while one of us making a request to S.A. - at least I might then be able to flog my vase for a similar sum. ;)

IMHO, the turquoise flared vase is indeed Nazeing m, not that it has a label, and as far as I know their stuff was never signed, but I've seen enough over the years to feel happy with that provenance  -  I sometimes regret having parted with most of my glass, and Nazeing is one of the bigger regrets  -  it's colourful and a sort of jolly looking material.

The more I learn of this group (from the experts here), the more valuable it seems to become  -  if only we can nail the optic ribbed green vase as something valuable that would be great  ;)

thanks again.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 10:25:42 PM »
The optic green vase looks like an S&W rainbow shaped vase
What's the base like?

here's a rainbow one
https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4819

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 10:34:34 PM »
Coming back to above mentioned book, it might be of interest to mention that Appendix A (page 72) covers 'A Record of Colours' - for S. & W. material, and under the heading of 'Amber Varieties', it reads:

Name                                          Colour Shade                                                   Uses
Amber                                       Greenish dirty brown colour                            Domestic and tableware 
Auburn                                      Rich reddish amber                                        Mainly vases, bowls and stems
Cairngorm                                 Fine golden colour  (c. 1918)                           Domestic
Old Gold                                    A honey colour                                               Keith Murray designs
Chrysophase                             Pale yellow amber with an orange tinge             Gilt tableware and fancy cut pieces.

This might lend weight to the Murray attribution for these bubbled vases.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 10:36:43 PM »
Maybe some pictures of the green one on its own would help......I initially thought beehive as it appeared to have pronounced ribs on the outside, but it might just be the picture when I drag it to enlarge it.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »
sure, I'll post better pix of the green ribbed vase tomorrow - on its own.               Good try m, but this is nothing like your suggestion of a Rainbow vase - it has a mould finished base - lacks any kind of pontil mark - and no sign of a rainbow.  ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 10:42:42 PM »
yes,could see it wasn't rainbow coloured but I didn't see anything about the molded base.
No idea then in that case :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 02:28:59 PM »
as requested some more pix of the optic-ribbed green vase  -   height is c. 8 inches ( about 200 mm), and couple of flea bites on the cut and polished rim.     Gives dull thud when flicked.          In the second picture (base shot) the fairly extensive wear can be seen on the outer part of the foot rim.
Apologies as pix still a bit naff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand