No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can someone tell me how to tell if this is Murano or Da Ros or a replica?  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Shelaine91

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
I recently acquired this cat.  I'm trying to figure out if it's just a replica or if it has any value.  It has some of the features from an Antonio Da Ros piece.  There aren't any markings that I can find.  It looks as if there was a sticker on the bottom that was removed.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Can someone tell me how to tell if this is Murano or Da Ros or a replica?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 09:18:42 PM »
hello and welcome to the GMB :)          Sorry, not a clue is the answer to your question, but would just add that very unlikely anyone here will provide you with a value, which of course contrary to your countrymen who are usually very forthcoming with valuations.    We all buy pieces occasionally in the hope that the piece has value, which assume is why you've acquired this pussy, though unfortunately it doesn't always work.
Even if this one is a replica only, it's still a good looking cat, and worthy of a good home.

Regrettably not remotely my area, but in view of your comments you're obviously aware of similar Murano/Da Ros pieces, though it appears from the lack of replies there may be few here who follow your passion.            As a matter of interest are you able to say what 'some of the features from an Antonio Da Ros piece' are, and have you floated your question on any of the States glass forums?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Can someone tell me how to tell if this is Murano or Da Ros or a replica?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 02:34:32 AM »
It certainly has features Of the Antonio de Ros Cenedese pieces.....particularly the offset neck which does not appear to be a feature of any other art glass cat figurines, but tracking down a labelled piece, or a book reference, might take a while.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand