No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown cased bowl.  (Read 4866 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Unknown cased bowl.
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 09:58:25 AM »
I think I must have meant opalescent  ;D

Thanks for thoughts and the link, I’ve not managed to find much Selkirk that isn’t a paper weight. I see Anthony Stern does landscapes and has used opalescent glass (not sure if used in his bowls though). That would be nice but feels like it might remain an unknown.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 09:39:09 PM »
I looked at quite a bit of Anthony Stern glass when looking for similar to this, especially the opalescent white, but without much success. Now this signed Anthony Stern bowl has just been posted (thanks susan100) http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,69970.0.html

I think the base shape and pontil scar look very similar to my bowl and with a similar cased opalescent white. The signed bowl substitutes the multi-coloured casing in my bowl with clear casing containing control bubbles. The profile is different in the top half, the other bowl being more spherical, but it’s a similar size and makes me think Anthony Stern is a good possibility for my bowl...or is that more straw clutching? ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 10:09:07 PM »
It reminds me of a couple of things.

Firstly the colours and a little bit the way they're laid on reminds me of my Webb Corbett Agate flambe bowls.  The white interior is fine for that as well.  However the way the white is half the body and the way the base and pontil mark are finished  do not.  The curve of the base, the snapped pontil mark remind me of more contemporary studio glass.

The shape of the body and way is indents very very slightly near the rim reminds me of a Scheider bowl I have.  But I think it would be signed most likely. 
However I'm not sure the way the colours are laid on does. Is it signed anywhere on the bowl?
An example here of a Schneider bowl so you can see what I mean about the colours and how the way the bowl is composed reminds me of Scheider:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/264681625/stunning-large-french-art-deco-pate-de?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=schneider+art+glass&ref=sr_gallery-2-16

Another here
https://www.proantic.com/en/display.php?mode=obj&id=526290

I think it's most likely a contemporary studio glass piece to be honest.

I don't know if it's  by Anthony Stern but it may be worth contacting him to ask? 

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 11:09:11 PM »
Hi, thanks for the info and links. I see what you mean about the Schneider bowls (I think that’s the closest match I’ve seen), the only thing is is that there is a definite horizontal swirl or twist to the top section of my bowl, which was what put me in mind of Anthony Stern. I had ruled out Stern as I hadn’t found any bowls with similar white, I think I’ll try asking him but keep an open mind.

The bowl is in a box in the back of a cupboard at the moment but I’ll dig it out and check for signatures. There weren’t any engraved signatures, but I may have missed something more subtle on the white, like Schneider. It’s good the way you come across a lead on an item when you’re not expecting it!

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 11:22:56 AM »
Had another look, definitely not signed or marked. I’ve added a photo of the bottom for comparison with the signed example.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 11:49:01 AM »
Can I be a pain and ask for a side on photograph a little more distanced than your first one, and against a darker background?  It might help show up the profile shape of the bowl a bit more and may show the colours differently as well. 

It's a difficult one.

The snapped pontil mark is not right for Schneider (I'm pretty sure).

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 12:04:11 PM »
and it still reminds me of Alum Bay glass - partly the way the colour is laid on, partly the browns in use which they seemed fond of, and also the white interior. 
I have seen different pontil mark finishes on their work - a piece on ebay which appears to now have a polished pontil and a clear label on it.  The ones I've seen that are older have a rounded base and then it appears to be pushed in slightly in donut type finish with a snapped pontil mark. 

I think the shape of your bowl is much more appealing/attractive and the colours in the glass etc -  than the shapes and colours of their glass though (apologies for being critical to Alum Bay - beauty in the eye of the beholder etc)
This is what I think of when I think of their glass:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alum-Bay-Hand-Blown-Glass-Bud-Vase-Purple-Swirl-Isle-of-Wight-Glass/333719347586?hash=item4db3392182:g:f3cAAOSwh4ZfJtpG

Difficult one :)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 02:10:15 PM »
I appreciate the help so not a pain to take more photos, thanks :)

The photos below are outside in daylight but not direct sun, and on a black background. The one showing the profile was about 1.5m away but I cropped the photo after. The glass is translucent so maybe partially backlit from within.

I had one of those brown Alum Bay vases until about two weeks ago, when it went back to the charity shop - I always seem to need something after getting rid of it! It was one like you describe with the snapped pontil mark. I see some similarities with the colour etc but feel this bowl is more artistic and more of a one off, if that makes sense. When I had the Alum bay vase it never struck me that they might share origins, I don’t know if they made stuff like this that might have been a more limited run?

I agree this bowl is more appealing than the usual Alum Bay, the one I had anyway :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »
I think it's a lovely piece of more recent Studio Glass.

The shape is great but for some reason - just gut instinct here so I could be completely
wrong - it seems taller and a more contemporary shape than something from the 30s (Schneider etc) for example.
The snapped off pontil mark also makes me think possibly the finish from a Studio - rather than a polished pontil mark.
The way the colours are laid on is not 'fluffy' enough for French 1930s - I've no idea how they managed it but it's a peculiar and particular way of using the colour (maybe powders or something rather than 'chips' of coloured glass rolled on the marver)
The way the colour are used and laid on - the colours remind me of what seemed to be a trend a few years ago to create 'landscape' vases.
But the way the colours are laid on and swirled makes me think it's a good maker. 
My instinct if it was a Studio piece is that they would normally sign however I have a Karlin Rushbrooke piece for example, very typically his work, confirmed by him as it is his work, yet he forgot to sign it.   That happens.

I had been thinking perhaps someone like Lesley Stuart Clarke  but couldn't see anything in her repertoire like that.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »
See above

Also wondering if it could be Norwegian or German Studio glass - I have checked out Gro Bergslien but I think not because unsigned, pontil mark not right and couldn't find anything that similar in terms of decor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand