No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown cased bowl.  (Read 4881 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Unknown cased bowl.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2020, 03:01:27 PM »
It is defintiely opalescent. So I'm leaning very much towards Selkirk. Selkirk kind of grew from Ysart glass- it's an end of the line branch of that, set up by Peter Holmes.
Some more info. here.  :)
And an image of one posy vase.

http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=208&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2020, 04:45:12 PM »
Thanks again both.

It reminds me of the cloud bands and storms on a gas giant planet. As I said before, it is odd when you look at it that it looks out of focus, as though there is a shadow around the bits of colour. When you look closely that effect disappears completely, so it’s a weird optical illusion. You can even see the effect in the photos but it’s not so obvious. I have added a couple of details that are areas from the photos above.

There’s a signed Anthony Stern bowl here https://www.gildings.co.uk/auction/lot/537-anthony-stern-a-studio-glass-vase-internally/?lot=11664&sd=1 that looks to have some similarities in how the colours were done. He did landscape glass too.

I’ll have to have another look at Selkirk. I’m not too sure I like that Selkirk bowl to be honest...it looks a bit like a decorator’s overalls ;D (sorry Selkerk). Although the detail on my bowl is random, there looks to be control in how it was applied. The top isn’t perfectly parallel with the base so I don’t know if that would be enough to warrant it not being signed.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2020, 05:11:34 PM »
ekimp, would you be kind enough to send me a message via the envelope under my name - I've found pics of another Selkirk vase with opalescent glass in, and different colours and textures. I can't resize to put them here since windows7 died on me.
If I had your email address, I could send you the pics.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2020, 08:30:29 PM »
Adding some photos that Sue sent (thanks) of a Selkirk cylinder vase that has opalescent glass at the base - it's white opaque glass at the top. Unfortunately the images shrank during messaging so they are a little small.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 08:33:37 PM »
...and a splodgy bucket with no opalescents.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 11:47:15 PM »
Anthony Stern signed pontil mark here and with an impressed mark on the pontil scar - just in case it helps in the future.  The second link is to a vase of his.

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTA2M1gxNjAw/z/urcAAOSwp49evvMu/$/Stunning-Art-glass-vase-by-Anthony-Stern-signed-_57.jpg

https://picclick.co.uk/Stunning-Art-glass-vase-by-Anthony-Stern-signed-402436763756.html

Sue, I don't know about Selkirk.  I know what you mean about their use of opalescent glass but I just don't get 'Selkirk' vibes from this bowl.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »
It is a great test of my little theory, m.  ;D
If this bowl isn't Selkirk, opalescent glass use in a studio piece is not a "marker" for Selkirk.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »
I’ve sent Anthony Stern a message just incase. Hopefully I’ll hear back one way or the other and will update here if I do.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 05:40:55 PM »
m, do you get any "Selkirk vibes" from either the cylinder or the bucket?

I certainly didn't when I saw them - the labels were a big surprise. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 05:49:49 PM »
not the bucket but definitely the cylinder.  I had one similar in pinkish colours with pink pelaton strips I think it was.

The cylinder is what I think of when I think of Selkirk.

The bucket is made of lots of small chips of glass and to be honest I'd have thought it was from Bath Aqua (did a glassblowing course there to make a paperweight full of small coloured chips).

I think lots of makers use the small coloured chips effect. But the cylinder vase is definitely Selkirk's style :)

I like the cylinders but I find too many makers make shapes that just don't do it for me.  I love a bottle ish shape pot or a bowl shaped like Ekimp's - something contemporary looking.  That's why I don't like Alum Bay glass I think - none of the shapes talk to me.  Basically I can't stand anything that looks boring or has a frill or wave around the rim.  The frill/wave thing knocks a lot of things out when searching ebay for interesting items  ;D  A bit like you and your dislike of pink whereas I love pink glass!
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand