No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown cased bowl.  (Read 4867 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Unknown cased bowl.
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 06:18:15 PM »
I don't do frilly bits either.
But I just went upstairs (living dangerously!) and found both another Selkirk vase - deep blue footed bottle shape with gold web resist patterns on - and a fairly recent bit of Alum Bay which might be to your taste, and is a far more interesting shape - a flared rim posy, a bit squished to make it have an angular profile. no pics and none on the web. :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2020, 06:58:38 PM »
This shape's nice Sue:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37066.msg202403.html#msg202403

But why oh why do they use 1970's colours for everything. Is purple and pink too hard to source - a lovely combination of purple and turquoise would have been good for this bowl.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2020, 07:03:51 PM »
My posy is clear greeny blue, with a sort of organised splodge pattern in reddy amber which I think was produced using silver salts, as the splodges have a yellow silvery surround. They have been swirled sround a bit - it's fabby and all clear. Plastic sticky label, so fairly recent.  :)
I got sick of the various nicotine stain colours in the '70s/'80s too. I have not recovered.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2020, 06:10:47 AM »
ooh, no, it's just suddenly come to me.  I'm not thinking of Selkirk Sue.  I've been thinking of Stuart Strathearn and the Impressions range.  Sorry! got confused with the Stuart Strathearn and the Selkirks  :-[ 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2020, 11:47:27 AM »
The original bowl we're talking about is neither Strathearn or Stuart Strathearn. I was getting a little confused with your description of colours. ;)
They don't use opalescent glass.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2020, 11:57:32 AM »
Yes I know :)  I mixed up Selkirk and SS in my head and it suddenly occurred to me this morning.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2023, 09:54:34 PM »
Has Siddy Langley used opalescent glass? I’ve been looking at some of her work and think she might be a possibility for my bowl. Looking at this one on her website: https://siddy-langley-glass.myshopify.com/collections/vases/products/pheasant-feather-rosebowl-1 the patch of filament type decoration, right of centre, looks similar to my bowl, sort of out of focus. Some of the other ‘Feather’ items have similar areas https://siddy-langley-glass.myshopify.com/collections/vases/feathers

Think the shape is ok, and the pontil mark is ok although some have ground bases (more recent examples?).

Never heard anything back from Anthony Stern btw.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2023, 10:17:18 PM »
Ekimp,  Anthony Stern https://www.bfi.org.uk/news/anthony-stern-obituary-psychedelic-artist-film-glass

If it is a Siddy bowl she might respond if you email to ask?

I still have a funny feeling it's Webb Corbett.  I really do.  The shape reminds me of something else as well.  Something French I think,the way it gently curves in slightly at the top.  Can't think what though. 

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2023, 10:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the link, had no idea.

Yes, I might try asking her but don’t like to bother people unless there is a good chance.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2023, 10:44:48 PM »
I'm not convinced about Siddy Langley to be honest  :-X

About 10 years ago and perhaps more recently, I noticed many studio glassmakers were doing seascape and landscape type bowls.  The kind of laid on design of colours that looks like scenery if you see what I mean.  It seemed to be a 'thing' for a while amongst quite a few.
The one thing that puts me off Webb Corbett is the curve to the base and the pontil mark finish.  That reminds me a lot of Alum Bay glass, both the curve and the pontil mark finish.  The thing that puts me off Alum Bay is the colours and possibly the shape of the whole thing side on. 
hmm,I'm sticking with 'very Webb Corbett-like'.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand