No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jacobean rdg ltd, Davidson's ?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Jacobean rdg ltd, Davidson's ?
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »
2.75 inches tall, after a bit of googling came across Davidson's & Clayton Myers, is that correct, 1950s ?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jacobean rdg ltd, Davidson's ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 03:36:25 PM »
Hi Keith  -  I have one similar  -  egg cups as far as I'm aware.         Under the foot of mine it says JACOBEAN  RDG.          Your dating sounds about correct, but not entirely sure as some of these designs were v. popular and were produced for a long time.

good to hear you're getting into pressed glass  ;D

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 05:04:42 PM »
Thanks Paul, seems a little small for an egg cup, unless it's for sparrow's eggs  :o do have a few pieces of pressed stuff  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:39:15 PM »
:-)  - I can vouch for the fact that eggs (chickens) do fit o.k. - I'm a big fan of boiled eggs for tea with toast soldiers.              I think you'd get several sparrows eggs in one of these cups, and as for making an omelette, well !!       With great shame I have to admit that as kids we collected 'sparras' eggs - they are small and not very appealing, unless you're a mother sparrow, of course. :-[

Picture attached of another similar egg cup - more or less the same size, and again those lenses/panels reminiscent of 'Lord'/'Jacobean', although it's unmarked.             The underside of the foot is typical of the original 'Lord' pieces designed by Schrotter at Inwald's Rudolfova hut - i.e. star impressed and with a smooth mirror like surface, so on that basis could it be a design produced earlier than the plain circular foot without smooth foot?    It might be on the Inwald Czech CD catalogue page - must look some time.         Unlike yours, the rim on this one is wavy.             How is this type of foot described  -  scalloped possibly?   

Not that I would have known without the book, but the 'Lord' range was apparently launched in 1921, remaining in continuous production in Czechoslovakia until c. 2002, but I've no idea as to when individual shapes/designs were introduced, or for how long they survived.     I'd have thought that an egg cup might have been an item created fairly early in the life-span of this design.

I gave away most of my 'Lord'/'Jacobean' collection, but kept the handled decanter showing on page 51 in the Newhall book  -  I still see acres of the stuff around  -  mostly I suppose they are the Mayers/Davidson pieces, rather than the 'Lord' pieces from Czechoslovakia. 

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
Mine has a very boring moulded base, not like yours, presume mine is the Davidson- Myers stuff , prefer mine scrambled with cheese  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 06:52:29 PM »
what ??  -  sparras eggs?  ;D

I've one of each type of base  -  keep your eye out and bet you find others soon  -  like anything, once you start looking they're everywhere.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 04:57:39 AM »
I saw a set of six that looked a lot like Paul's, with the scalloped foot, but had everted rims with the same profile as the completely unrelated piece in the link below (closest match to the rim I could find easily).  The rims were just smooth clear glass.  The quality of the glass on the foot wasn't great, but the rims looked nicely made.

https://northeastauctions.com/product/carved-intaglio-black-glass-vase-early-twentieth-century/

I've been trawling since Monday, just out of curiosity, to find out more, but failed completely to find any Jacobean pattern pieces with this rim type.  I thought possibly egg cups, but couldn't find any with everted rims.  Also wondered if they might be table salts.  I didn't think they would turn out to be so apparently "rare", or I would have bought them!

Anyone seen anything like that?
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
of course, they may or may not have been Lord/Jacobean  -  glass designs are legion and there are many look-a-likes.

With such a long life-span, Schrotter's designs occur as images in many paper locations, and the Newhall CD Rom to boot -  I've looked through the Rudolfova 'Lord' pages on the CD, but wasn't aware of seeing anything that might have matched with scalloped foot and everted rim.    The Pottery Gazette, The Glass Review, The Studio Year Books of Decorative Art, are some of the places that such wares appear, but these I don't have apart form the Studio, and couldn't find anything thing to match there.            There are also a few pieces in one of the Miller's books, but few in comparison with the total of different shapes etc., neither are there many shown in the Newhall book.             Am I correct in saying the Board has had access to Davison catalogue pages in the past  -  might be something there.
This lack of availability of Rudolfova patterns might be just the sort of impetus for some enterprising soul to start a sub-section on the GMB for images of Lord/Jacobean glass designs.
In the U.K., Schrotter is overlooked as a designer of everyday glass patterns, though apparently he was doubtless one of the C20 greatest glass creators.

Both Lord and Jacobean designs make no secret of the fact that they're utility creations  -  there must be something about the lenses that appeals, sine they have both been massively successful over the years.

So, the answer is - no, not seen anything to match this description from catshome  -  you might go back and photograph the pieces you saw :)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 02:24:17 PM »
I would go back, Paul, but it's a 40 mile round trip and no guarantee they would still be there.  I didn't even look at the price as I'm not supposed to be buying anything, we were just having a mooch while my friend tried to decide if she was going to buy a property we had just viewed.  Wish I knew which shop it was, at least I could make a phone call.....
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 06:43:17 PM »
They looked an awful lot like these but, from my brief look, I would have thought pressed not cut.  I did wonder how they did the rims like that on pressed glass.  Should I be planning a trip tomorrow?

https://www.serenabradbeer.com/new-finds/a-pair-of-cut-glass-georgian-style-salts

anything like that in the known ranges?
Cat 😺

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand