No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jacobean rdg ltd, Davidson's ?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jacobean rdg ltd, Davidson's ?
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »
hmmm  …………            pix of the salts lack contrast, and difficult to assess cutting/moulding etc. - I think the word 'style' says it all - more likely a C20 George - we could be back to the 1930's neo Georgian repro.
Genuine turned-over rims are typical of a late C18 early C19 Irish thing  -  think of all those salts, urns and salad bowls - don't know how they cut underneath the rims, but some were mould made.        After bowl was removed from the mould, foot was added and the pontil rod then attached to foot so the rim could be turned-over.            On cut examples perhaps none were actually cut under the rim??
On these salts, the decoration looks meagre/mean, and the foot doesn't look typical for the sort of Georgian that's being implied.         Head on block and will suggest not possible to produce mould made pieces with that degree of turned-over rim  -  everted yes, but these salts are a long way from being simply everted.

I'm not aware of any 'Lord/Jacobean' designs that had turned over rims like these salts, so would suggest you don't return - there's always a temptation to embellish something we've lost and make it sound better than it actually is.
Of course, had your mystery item been the 'Lord' table lamp, then I'd have suggested you went back and bought it for me ;)

Sorry none of this is any help.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 08:12:49 PM »
I'm even more intrigued now lol.  I had them pegged for Georgian style after seeing a Waterford piece, so searched for "Georgian style salt" and came up with those.  A set of six does seem an unusual find.  Might see how I feel tomorrow.  Will keep an eye out for the lamp!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 01:56:28 PM »
Paul - I went back and have posted under a new thread. 

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,68765.msg382573.html#msg382573
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand