No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Brierley ... Royal Brierley or not ?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline billben

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
Brierley ... Royal Brierley or not ?
« on: September 17, 2019, 05:09:57 PM »
My apologies if this seems a bit of a dumb question but I must admit cut glass is something that doesnt appeal to me that much and for that reason my knowledge about makers/marks is pretty limited.  I did do a search on the site to try and find an answer, but the same as on Google as soon as I put in the word Brierley all information seems to be about Royal Brierley.

This cut glass fruit bowl is signed on the base 'Brierley' .... so is there a connection to Royal Brierley or is it perhaps Brierley Hill Crystal.

I would appreciate any comments and thank you all in anticipation

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Brierley ... Royal Brierley or not ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 06:54:00 PM »
It is Royal Brierley, the marks vary from time to time and piece to piece, sometimes just plain capitals then Royal Brierley in the same script as yours sometimes just Brierley, don't ask why I've been researching this company for 5-6 years and can find little information, lots of pictures though !  ;D ;D

Offline billben

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
Re: Brierley ... Royal Brierley or not ?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:58:34 PM »
Many thanks for your quick response Keith.  I have had drinking glasses which I have found signed both Royal Brierly & Brierley so what you say fits in with that too.
Regards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand