No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Val Saint Lambert vase  (Read 6600 times)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Val Saint Lambert vase
« on: September 25, 2019, 04:01:18 AM »
Hello all,

I have recently bought this vase at auction. I am using the auction images as they have no copyright and their site has options attached to the images for FB, Pinterest and Instagram, so it is obvious to me that they're ok with people using their images. However, if this is frowned upon, then please let me know. The reason i am using these images is that i can't manage to get a proper image showing the reason for my question, as it is so shiny and my photos reflect more than that they show.

It is a recent production from 1990 and i had been looking for one for ages. The modern or more recent pieces of VSL can be harder to find than earlier ones, due to the financial difficulties the company has experienced over the last 30 or so, and productions and series have therefor been more limited. In fact, besides the catalogue image, I had never seen this design before 'in the flesh', so to speak.

It is initially made of clear glass and has a thick black layer on top of that. The black glass is actually the deepest shade of amethyst, as VSL can't produce black. As you can see, it has this metal leaf, of some kind of metal,  that has a light iridescent effect on the top and 'shoulder' of the vase but is difficult to show. Towards the lower part it becomes more grey and beige.

So my question after this all is simple … is there a name for this type of metal? I came across the term 'variegated' but I have the idea that this is just a general one.

Thanks ever so much for your thoughts.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Val Saint Lambert vase
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 06:31:22 AM »
It looks like sheets of silver leaf applied under the top layer to me

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 06:47:37 AM »
Looks like a very similar effect to the Isle of Wight "azurene" glass.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 09:03:19 AM »
Thank you both for your replies. I can see the similarities with IOW Azurene. For VSL it is very unusual. I have contacted both VSL and the artist, Alfred Collard but none the wiser, AC still has to reply.

The top part is blueish and slightly iridescent, would this be a different metal then or still silver that changes colour during the process under heat?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 11:18:43 AM »
Still the silver I think

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 12:02:48 PM »
If the silver leaf gets overheated during application it "burns" blue and yellow rather than staying as silver metal - it reacts with the glass.
However, it can be an attractive feature. I know they tried to eliminate it at IoWSG, but I rather like it.
I do have a large IoWSG cylinder which had been going well - until they put the rim into the glory hole and burnt the top 3 inches blue in a complete 3" deep band around the top.
I rather prefer it random. But that piece is a clear demonstration of the silver metal burning; and of the where and how it happened. ;D

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 12:17:04 PM »
Thank you all  and Sue for your explanation, it is indeed blue and yellow at certain areas,  as you can see on the images. I didn't know silver changes colour. I do like it but would have done so either way. As it is catalogued like this it seems to have been done on purpose, or they kept making the same mistake  :D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 12:39:02 PM »
I am struggling a bit with images just now - new pc and I can't do a thing with it.  ::) ;D
I have found an image which contains that cylinder with the top part burnt in the glory hole. It's at the back left of the bottom right shelf.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »
Ah yes, spotted it. Quite a display  8)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 05:44:55 PM »
Wow, Sue, that's a fabulous collection.  Love the platter on the top right shelf......First one I've seen.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand