No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Paperweights.  (Read 2809 times)

Offline mdina glass

• Members
    • Mdina glass.
    • South Yorkshire.
Mdina Paperweights.
« on: September 25, 2019, 02:28:27 PM »
Hi Members,
I have had these a number of years and thought it is about time to find a little more about them.
2 of the paperweights look like spiderweb as some may call it to me it looks like some patterns in crizzle stones where they put glass into water to fracture im told.
The other one is what I think they call roman/chevron/ but I think this is before that due to colour.
One is signed Mdina in Michaels script and is very finely executed.
Are these early? poss made by Mr Harris who knows but would be nice for any info I can find.
Thank you in advance for any help,
Regards Kev.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina Paperweights.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 02:57:37 PM »
They do look like early ones - the chevron or Roman pattern is not there though. That was introduced by Said, not Harris, so is post '75. Roman is a load of yellow v shapes over a blue background.
The weight you're looking at was shaped in a mould to put the vertical lines in it.
The others were "crizzled".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline mdina glass

• Members
    • Mdina glass.
    • South Yorkshire.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 03:18:32 PM »
Thank you Sue,
So am I right they were made in the same way as the crizzle stones two of them at least  and if so would that date them to around 69/71/.
Regards Kev.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 03:27:55 PM »
The crizzle effect is produced the same way in all things crizzled - it was done before the stones got "invented".
Plunging hot glass into cold water to crack the surface, then introducing something into the cracks and further casing (or not).
It was done by glass manufacturers long before Harris set Mdina up - like most techniques in glass work - it's a very old one.  :)
I couldn't pin anything down to certain years with the information here. Just that they are early and were not the sorts of designs that really got continued much. Around then.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline mdina glass

• Members
    • Mdina glass.
    • South Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 10:55:30 AM »
Thank you for your info Sue,it is very much appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand