No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight Azurene paperweight?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Isle of Wight Azurene paperweight?
« on: September 26, 2019, 09:25:39 AM »
Time to find out if I have learnt anything from the constant questions...…

When I originally bought this 3.25" high egg paperweight, I thought it was obsidian.

Having done a bit of searching, I think it's a Michael Harris Azurene piece.  The decoration is on the surface.  Not sure about the colour - can they tarnish?  Under magnification, I can see hints of dark blue in the gaps in the foil.

No label or signature, some wear to the base.  The information I have found for the Azurene pieces gives a production period 1978-2012 (link below).  I think this is earlier, rather than later.

I feel as though I'm sitting an exam!

The picture on its side is deliberate, as it loses some of the detail when I rotate it.  The colour in the top picture appears accurate on my screen - it doesn't have a bright gold finish.

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Re: Isle of Wight Azurene paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 09:29:32 AM »
Base picture - the white triangle was an attempt to give the camera something to focus on.  The blue is reflected light.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »
If you rub the brownish surface with your thumb, it will come up silver - it's just tarnished. There is silver foil on the outside and it will oxidise in air.
Then you'll have to wash your thumb. It might be better to clean it that way than to use silver polish which will wear it down faster.
But the oils in your skin are enough to remove the surface tarnish.
Oh, I do think it probably is IoWSG. Large eggs were in production for several years. The book covers '82 -'95 and they are in all the catalogues for all those years.
They are not part of the maximal and minimal things.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:24:31 PM »
Ooops…..the missing link from my first post  http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/azurene.

Thanks for the info and cleaning tip Sue, will have a go and see what happens.  What do you mean by "maximal and minimal things"?

Cat 😺

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »
Maximals and Minimals were a specific range of small Azurene animal paperweights - but eggs don't count. Maximals were a little bigger than Minimals.  :)
I think they were mostly gold foil alone though. Examples below.  :)

http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/minimals

Michael Harris, working with William Walker on getting Azurene working, invented a special vacuum marver for introducing silver and gold foil to the surface of a hot glass gather.
it had tiny little holes in it and air was blown under it. This created a tiny vacuum - enough to hold the delicate leaf flat, in place for lifting.
Then he spent ages working out how to get the temperatures right so that the silver didn't burn and turn blue and yellow. Silver burns at fairly low temperatures, compared to some other metals.
Gold does not burn or tarnish - it's much easier to deal with than silver is.
But some of the earlier work, where the silver does get burnt actually looks rather good. :)
My cylinder which got burnt in the glory hole is not counted amongst those. ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand