No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina or MDG?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Mdina or MDG?
« on: September 26, 2019, 10:14:41 PM »
Hi

I bought a small lot of Mdina the other day. One of the vases though was cased in glass that had a peach colour base which I'd not seen in Mdina. I read on here that MDG would use glass of an amber type colour, however the examples posted had gone. Furthermore on the same thread ( I should've bookmarked it!) it was stated that they often had dull type bases. The vase is just over 7 and a half inches in height.
So is this vase an example of MDG? I'm grateful for any opinions..thanks.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mdina or MDG?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
Can we have some more photos showing the pattern around the vase and another showing the colour of the glass at the base? For the base the camera lens needs to be directly in line so we can see from side to side.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 11:12:48 AM »
One of the "shows" for MDG is that the base is not actually flat, but has very, very shallow gouges - like a miniature battutto effect.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 08:08:33 AM »
Thanks Sue and Paul.
The base doesn't fit that description, it's flat and slightly frosted.
Adding more photos which hopefully will be more illuminating.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »
Shift the base around in the light a bit to see if the surface really is completely flat. I can't tell from those pics.
I did have a bit of MDG for years that I hadn't noticed the battutto thing on - it is very shallow.
I have not yet seen a bit of MDG with a fully flat base. This could be a first though, because the rest of it looks so right.  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 05:02:44 PM »
The pattern does look right for MDG, the amber does not seem as dark as usual but that is not enough to say no for me, from memory a variety of finishes crop up on the bases.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 05:19:08 PM »
The other right for MDG thing is the shape - it's perfectly right and the right proportions. Even down to the very fine flat rim.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 07:06:19 AM »
I've just had another look at the base and to my inexpert eyes it does seem totally flat and smooth.
Many thanks to both of you for your input which has really helped me learn more about the piece.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 01:24:39 PM »
I think this fully flat base could just be an anomaly then.  Everything else about it just screams MDG.
And we do know that they did do some unusual and experimental colour combinations.

As you know, John, there is that lovely heavy little pot with the flanged rim which looks Ming-ish in the grid pattern, but the strapping is actually green. So putting amber with blue should not be unexpected.
I cannot think what else this bottle could possibly be.
And while the base might not be the "battutto" thing, it's still not fully polished which should discount it, but rough, which would be right. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand