No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sun damage?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Yvette

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Sun damage?
« on: October 02, 2019, 05:38:16 PM »
Hi - I have a small but growing collection of Riihimaki vases that I absolutely love.  I keep them on a window sill as they look so good in the light, but I am worried that the sun may damage them.  The sun really is very strong on them.  Is it possible that the sun could damage or fade them?

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Sun damage?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »
Hello Yvette, and welcome to the glass message board.
The subject of glass and sunshine I'm sure has been discussed on this forum before.
On the top of the page there is a search feature for previous debate about this subject.
My input is quite the opposite but may be relevant. Foolishly I left a shaped and textured Riihimaki vase(emma from the country house series)
in a shed over the winter period, where the round part of the vase met the square neck it fractured I think due different rates of contraction due to the temperature fall.
Not trying to worry you but I wonder if the same thing could happen with a rise in temperature.
I would think the more rounded vases would be ok.
Hope this is of some help.
Tim

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 07:26:22 PM »
I think it was the manganese declourant used in older glass that would eventually turn purple if exposed to too much bright sunshine - I don't think modern glass recipes need to use manganese decolourants - and they often use crystal anyway as it is easier to work.
I really do not think it is a problem with modern glass. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:29:26 PM »
Hi Yvette, welcome to the board.

If the sun is strong through the window I'd be more concerned about the risk of the sun through the vases causing a fire. It can happen - members here can attest to scorched window sills and furniture.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »
The use of manganese as a decolourant as mentioned by Sue - goes back a long way, though I'm also ignorant of whether modern recipes include this method to clear the unwanted discolouration - purple looking shades don't seem to be apparent on modern production stuff  -  perhaps the sand is washed more thoroughly now ;)   

Unsure of the meaning of the word crystal used in this thread - possibly lead crystal (used for most cut glass), though it may be that the Riihimaki pieces mentioned here aren't examples of cut glass, so unlikely to be lead crystal  -  unfortunately, crystal is used often simply to describe clear/uncoloured glass.
I doubt that any of the colours would fade, but in addition to the other v.g. reasons already mentioned, for not putting glass on a window sill, might be that you're advertising you have collectible glass, and this just might encourage burglary.         Perhaps put the collection in a cabinet and illuminate with strip lighting??       Glass that's unprotected and on window sills is a disaster waiting to happen - dusting, pets, partners, children - plus it needs cleaning as they simply become dust traps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand