No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Where does this beauty comes from?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
Where does this beauty comes from?
« on: October 03, 2019, 02:23:06 PM »
Hello you all

I would like to show you another of my ???? in the collection. I bought this from an household where the owner died, the daughter had no knowledge about glass and gave me this vase for 10€.
I had no idea what company it is, but then I found a pattern at the glasmusterbuch from Pamela at the Jeosephinenhütte 1954 (tafel 078) 1958 ( Tafel 112) and 1970 model 1027 700 which I think fits perfect with the cut, and in 1958 the picture looks overlayed as well. 1954 the pattern was a little bit easier, the waves where more simetric, but the modellnumber was already 127 700. I asked someone who is quite familiar with Josephinenhütte. He ment no and that the pattern in the glasmusterbuch is not overlayed.

A couple of weeks ago someone had this vase on ebay, but other color and other shape, but absolutly the same cut and postulated Haida.

The stand is absolutely perfect polished and in my eyes the cut is gourgeos. When you look through the cuts on the other side multiply and you see much mor cuts then there are.

weight is much more then 2kg and the height is 25 cm . diameter obove 14 cm and the glass is 1cm thick. Diameter down is 10 cm. My pictures look a little more blue as it is. it is more petrole.

Has anyboday an idea from where the beauty comes? The Josephinenhütte-expert (he did not see the bottom) said it is art deco, but I doubt. I think it is from the 70th. The stand is much to unused for the 30th. Nearly no scratches.

I`m still sticking with Josephinenhütte, but maybe someone else knows more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Where does this beauty comes from?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 02:43:35 PM »
I don't know anything about Josephinehutte - but when I see something of this sort of monumental construction, in good quality crystal, flashed with a good colour, all beautifully and deeply cut, I tend to think of Val St. Lambert.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 03:22:14 PM »
hello Sue
I looked through everything I got to Val st. Lambert, unfortunately not much only the catalogs from Pamelas side. nothing comes even near. But I hope that somebody which more catalouges of Val st. lambert finds something that fits.
What I forgot to mention, the Josephinenhütte arised 1842 in Bohemia, so it has very good roots. They came to Germany  1945 and began new . They are also known as gräfliche Schaffgottsche Josephinenhütte where Fritz Heckert also worked. 1979 the company was sold to villeroy and Boch and closed 1983

Monika

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 03:26:56 PM »
We do have Anne Tique as a member here, who is a bit of a whizz with VSL.  ;D
I hope she will come along and say something which might help you.
It is decidedly an Art Cut piece - there is nothing traditional about this. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 03:41:38 PM »
regret I've not a clue Monika - so unable to help, but the similarity with some of the cut VSL designs is apparent.        Unfortunately, the copying of well known patterns and designs has been a popular pastime in many countries.

As for a date - I'd agree with you that probably not 1930s art deco - some of the books show British made cut pieces with these very deep horizontal mitres in wave form. as originating c. 1940 to mid 1950s.

Best of luck with attribution.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 04:28:22 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the image in the catalogue shows a clear cut version. Yours is cut to clear and sometimes it can be a bit tricky finding the exact pattern back but I think you're spot on.

Re the expert and the catalogue image not being cut to clear ...nobody knows for sure anymore what exactly happened and was done at the time. I'm sure Josephinenhütte was the same as anybody else and sometimes different versions were not registered or  have gone lost with time … anything's possible, a special order, a try-out, a limited edition ...the possibilities are endless.

It isn't VSL, I can be sure about that,  they were stuck in late geometric art deco designs at the time and a lot had, what I always call, macro diamond cut. This looks way to sophisticated for that and too much of a match with the 1958 catalogue of Josephinenhütte.

You're right, it is a very nice piece, very nicely done  and the optic effect must be captivating.

Thank you for showing this vase, your enthusiasm and content really comes through in your message and so you should be.

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »
Wow thanks Anne!! Paul is wright you are a whizz

I´m very happy. And thank you for the nice words to my kind of messages.

If anybody else has a differnet meaning: your are welcome, that is why we are here. But as long nobody doubts this will be in future my Josephinenhütte Vase :-*

Monika

By the way, must I set now the ID= in the subject?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »
It wasn't Paul,  ;) But Anne really is a whizz!
I am very glad you've got an answer. This is quite something.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »
I forgot to post the catalogue page, so everybody knows what we're talking about without having to search for the page.

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Josephinenhuette-1958.63+B6YmFja1BJRD02MyZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9MjM1MCZwaWRfcHJvZHVjdD02MyZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

Thanks for the kind words, not much of a wizz if it's up to me   :D 9 times out of 10 I'm just lucky but haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 05:30:14 PM »
Modest too.    :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia