No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maltese? Green "Seabed" vase. ID= WMF ikora  (Read 3302 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Maltese? Green "Seabed" vase. ID= WMF ikora
« on: October 06, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »
Have to admit, I'm a little bit excited about this one.  It looks like a paperweight and a vase got together and had a baby!  I haven't seen anything like it - the effect is like the seabed with seaweed growing up into the clearer, lighter, water above.  The middle section "glows", yet no UV reaction, and no apparent sunset effect or red flashes in sunlight.  The closest description I could give is that it's like jade.  There are pockets of completely clear glass in the bottom section - one captured in a picture below - and I think these clear areas let light into the bottom and create the illuminated effect.

4" high x 3.75" rim diameter, 410g - it feels quite hefty in the hand.  Base is flat, satin finished, with slight bevel to the edge.

My gut says it feels like Mdina, but I haven't found anything with this seaweed effect, shape, or colour.  Have also looked at Gozo, Mtarfa, Phoenician, and MDG - if its out there, I've missed it.

Lots of pictures as I am experimenting with camera settings and wanted to see what worked best for the board.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Re: Maltese? Green "Seabed" vase
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 04:23:14 PM »
more pics
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 04:24:12 PM »
last ones
Cat 😺

Offline The Glass Staircase

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 04:32:22 PM »
wmf?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 04:41:38 PM »
Definitely, Mike.  :) WMF. Ikora. 
A little bit earlier than Mdina. And very, very nice indeedy.  ;D
It's a bit better than you thought, Cat. Definitely worth getting a bit excited about. 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 05:00:29 PM »
Sue I have to admit when I posted this, I was really hoping you would like it.  Off to find out more about WMF ikora.  Thank you both.
Cat 😺

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 05:09:04 PM »
This is one of the lovliest Ikora colourways and it can sometimes be mistaken for a seriously top bit of Mdina.
It tends to be rather more expensive than Mdina. It's not very common either. :)

I've done a search and come up with a really good example illustrated on worthpoint.
It says there the designer was Karl Weidmann. I'm inclined to believe it. It does look like his work.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/bauhaus-karl-wiedmann-wmf-ikora-519105590
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 05:34:02 PM »
I found a red one in the same shape, but I don't know if "red moss agate" was the description given by WMF, or the seller, so not clear if this would be a "green moss agate" piece. 

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/art-glass/steuben/wmf-ikora-red-moss-agate-glass-vasecirca-1930-ht-3-7-8-in/a/5356-79072.s

I have been looking at Karl Wiedmann pieces, and there are some distinct similarities - the bold green "brush strokes" against the darker background, for example.

A bit stunned by the date though......as there is virtually no wear to the base and just a few light scratches.  It doesn't appear to be a very common piece, which is quite nice for a change 😹

Can't wait to open another box!

Thanks again, Sue.
Cat 😺

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 05:58:20 PM »
The bits described as "moss agate" are a little bit different to the more general Ikora designs - and they contain sliver salts - that's what gives you those lovely bubbles with the yellow outside.
But I don't know if moss agate was a term used by WMF. It has been used by other glassmakers.
If something has been looked after or simply forgotten about and hasn't been moved around much, it won't accumulate age-related wear.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 06:38:13 PM »
I'll have a look through the book later and give you the colour and code :)  Unless someone else has time beforehand.

It's a lovely colourway - love the vase. I have a few but none in this green (my favourite of those I own is a purple and yellow).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand