No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maltese? Green "Seabed" vase. ID= WMF ikora  (Read 3279 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Maltese? Green "Seabed" vase
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 07:23:51 PM »
I haven't got any books on this, so that would be much appreciated m.   :)
But here are some glorious bits of Karl Wiedmann's work for Gralglas.
(I was looking for my ashtray, but couldn't find it)
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38212.msg210513.html#msg210513
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »
Catshome I can find three examples in the book all with different numbers but they seem to all relate to this shape -  they are all 9cm high in this shape.
Is yours actually 4" or is it 9cm ?  Just checking, just because  :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 08:23:21 PM »
So I think it is number E302/4006 grun where it is coded under example on page 117 on the 1930/1931 page.

As far as I can understand the guide, this was produced in 1930/31 in Ikora/Myra, then again in 1936 and 1939 in  Ikora only, then in 1949 with a three digit code 113 in both Myra and Ikora and again in 1951 with a four digit code 8113 in both Myra and Ikora.

So, those 113 and 8113 are on the same code line as E302.  I don't know whether the green was produced in the 1949 and 1951 productions but it does seem to definitely come under 1930/1931 and 1936 and 1939 where Ikora was produced in this shape.

Open to correction if anyone else has the book and can double check my understanding of the coding.

And thank you because having checked the book I've realised my beloved purple and yellow vase appears in the coloured reps catalogues of 1928! I'd not remembered it was so early  - and it wasn't produced after 1931 :)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 09:06:08 PM »
Thank you, m.  Does it confirm Karl Wiedmann as the designer?  is there an image of this piece?  I've looked everywhere I can think of and found just the red one so far

Height is 95-98mm ...... The rim is not completely level. The red one has a height given as 3 7/8", which is the same as mine..... On one side anyway!

Thanks again,
Cat

ADDED: found one, although it lacks the contrasts in colour that I like about mine, it's nice to see an image of another one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WMF-Ikora-Glass-Vase-Art-Deco-Glass-Vase-Green-with-einschmelzungen-10-cm-/312672569010?hash=item48ccbcc6b2%3Ag%3AcjcAAOSwafZdEOFr&nma=true&si=Scn2wZr2CflnJT9mjg%252F48fpq0mo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »
Cat I'm away now for a couple of days but will look at the book again to see what it says about KW and post once I'm back.  There seems to be some open-ended info on the net.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Maltese? Green "Seabed" vase. ID= WMF ikora
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »
I suspect this is a "common"  ;D sort of posy shape, not the most popular.
It's the colourway of this and the red one I'm not so sure about. The ones we're describing as moss agate - which is not the same as the design with the spokes.
Roy had a stonking piece in the same pattern as Cat's, some years ago - and I fell in love and couldn't afford it. I haven't been able to find it here though. I'm not very good at searches.  :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 04:35:57 PM »
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 04:47:43 PM »
Lol..... Just came back to post the link to Roy's piece for you Sue, and you beat me again!!!!  But I hadn't seen the other one, thank you.  They are both lovely pieces, but Roy's has a real wow factor.

Not sure quite how you are defining "common", given that I've only found one red and one other green in this shape, but seen loads of plates/bowls.  Not being precious about it, just curious 😺
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 05:01:54 PM »
I suspect I may have drifted off into Ysart territory there rather than WMF. This is a common shape for Vasart and Strathearn, and not the most desirable. I'm afraid I automatically tend to dismiss that shape, no matter where it comes from. My bad.
Sorry!
I ought to learn more about WMF. I've got a huge charger I had for years believed to be Mdina, but it's WMF from 1938. In the catalogue. Rocco put me right.  :)
I'm still shocked.  :-[ ::)
eta, found a pic of it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand