No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson RD212684 tri-form dish  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Davidson RD212684 tri-form dish
« on: October 09, 2019, 02:32:58 PM »
For interest.
I'm familiar with their canoe shape bowls with the above registered seashell decoration, but have never seen this shape before.  Not only did I find one, but a pair ;D
I wonder if they have adapted the canoe shape mould to make this variation on a theme ???.  Both are marked with the RD. number.  Almost 4.5" across and 1.75" at their highest.

Anne E.B

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Davidson RD212684 tri-form dish
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 04:24:47 PM »
the Board's archive shows the canoes you mention, also dishes with the usual 212684 decoration but with four compartments, so this tri-form shape looks to be new for the Board's Davidson archive Anne.                   Either I can't remember, or I've not previously looked at the factory drawings at Kew for this Registration, but I've no idea off-hand what the shape of the original factory Registered design was for 212684 - always a chance it was the boat.             Unfortunately, the books don't help with any cross reference as to shape/Rd. No. so can't work out which shape came first.           
Sheilagh Murray shows a example of the boat in yellow pearline (plate 55 - but omits the Rd. No. both on the plate and in the text), but the lady's text - in reference to this boat design (which we must assume is 212684), makes for very interesting reading  -  have to say I'd not read this previously (page 64).

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 05:37:07 PM »
This post from Dave Peterson adds more about this design https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48880.msg275759.html#msg275759  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »
intriguing name - War of the Roses boat - regret I've no idea as to the origin of the name - and have to admit ignorance to what design/shape Lords and Ladies refers.          Judging by the limited input to Dave Petersen's post provided in the link, it may well be that there wasn't any conclusion to his search for an attribution as to maker for his new found shape  -  items in glass that are generally longish, slim in shape and which are provided with cut outs for what might be termed a 'rest' - are sometimes designed as items on which to lay or rest a pen.           Not saying it is, but just a thought.
Presumably the Stewarts would have seen TNA images of 212684, and in fact I jumped too quickly in saying the books didn't comment on the nature of the original factory drawing - Jenny Thompson says …  "Basket shape. Pattern of stylised shells"  -  though I can't see that she shows the actual original factory drawing in her book.               Don't know if the Kew image of the factory drawing for 212684 is on the Board's archive anywhere - seems I occasionally forget which drawings I've seen and which not.

Dave Petersen may not have seen Sheilagh Murray's comments regarding the fate of the original German made moulds from which the 'Canoes' were made  -   he makes some reference to Germany, but I think in a separate connection.
If people have Murray's book 'The Peacock and the Lions', they will be aware of the author's comments about the 'Canoe' moulds, if not then perhaps it might be reproduced in full here it that is permitted.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »
Here's a link to the part of the Davidson registered designs section of the Stewart's cloudglass.com website that shows the design representation to RD 212684:

http://www.cloudglass.com/r18911900.htm

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »
prior to seeing the Stewarts photo - showing in Fred's link - of what must presumably be a reproduction of the original factory drawing at Kew - I'd assumed that Thompson's words implied we'd be looking at a conventional shaped basket.      But in reality it has turned out to be a canoe with handles:-)
Baskets are one thing  -  canoes another  -  I wonder if Davidson did actually ever manufacture the 'canoe with handles' as shown in their drawing sent to the Board of Trade - perhaps someone can tell us.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 03:19:05 PM »
Voila!

Fred.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »
We have a photo of the basket, aka canoe with handles, here, Paul: https://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-13550

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 05:44:51 PM »
thanks to both for showing 'canoes with handles', plus related links  -  good to know the Board has access to this diverse coverage Davidson's multiple shapes for Rd. 212684  -  now I'm not so ignorant of the variety of this Design No.           

Digressing a tad again, the lack of replies surrounding Dave Petersen's suggested 'new shape with cut outs' which he thought might have been something like a salt and possibly related to 212684, seems to suggest that particular design was very uncommon - at least I don't think other identical pieces have surfaced.              Although Dave didn't say as much, we have to assume that in view of his particular passion plus the colour of the piece - that it was uranium.
Unfortunately, the Stewarts didn't comment on Dave's Board post - by 2012 I think they had ceased their contributions to the GMB - though that's not to say they might not have corresponded with Dave directly.  -  too many nots there.             Must look out for another on the travels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand