No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens & Williams pink alabaster/Steuben Rosaline  (Read 1019 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Stevens & Williams pink alabaster/Steuben Rosaline
« on: October 12, 2019, 03:26:11 PM »
I had identified the piece on the right as a Stevens & Williams pink Alabaster powder pot with jade handle and foot.  6.25" high, 5 7/8" diameter, weight 1020g.  I assumed the one on the left was also S&W, but I  never had them both out of boxes together until now, and now I'm not convinced the one on the left is S&W - 5.25" high, 5" diameter, 760g.

The glass on the S&W piece is thicker, but more translucent, and appears darker (possibly due to being thicker).  The rim on the S&W is wonky, but the applied jade banding around the lid of the other piece is also wonky.  Both pieces have polished pontils, and a lot of imperfections in the glass.  The jade is darker/less translucent in the S&W piece.

I've looked at most of the threads on this type of glass, and started to think the one on the left might be a Carder Steuben piece.  However, I cannot find this shape on the Carder Steuben website

http://www.cardersteubenclub.com/index.cfm

Also, cannot find this shape for S&W.

Looking at the Carder Steuben website, I couldn't help thinking the straight cannister shaped piece would look nice with an underplate, and I wondered whether it should perhaps have one.

Once the additional possibilities of German, Italian, or Richardson, became apparent from reading previous threads, I decided to post it here and see what other people think.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Stevens & Williams pink alabaster/Steuben Rosaline
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 04:58:44 PM »
I think it could well be S&W.
It has a large polished pontil mark and the knop is polished flat as well isn't it?

They were made over a long period of time.
and
there are variations. However admittedly I have never seen this shape before so there is still a question mark I suppose.

Just a heads up,I have also seen a small number of pieces being sold as Bohemian (or French - can't remember now) and they definitely definitely are not and are definitely definitely Stevens and Williams alabaster (pattern corroboration).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 11:02:36 PM »
Looking something else up I came across this teapot in the Corning.
Admittedly the knop on the top is a different shape but the shape of the lid and the way it fits seems to me to be similar to the left hand item in op's photographs?
Is this teapot really Stevens and Williams?

https://www.cmog.org/artwork/teapot-and-cover-1

Actually I think the knop is the same as this item:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56212.msg347682.html#msg347682

So with the lid of the teapot being a similar design and the knop matching the marked item then presumably the left hand box is also Stevens and Williams?

m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 08:16:54 AM »
For what it is worth, S&W did make tableware using alabaster glass, presumably once cups and saucers are in production a teapot would not be such a huge stretch...

John

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 09:47:57 PM »
  I have Paul V. Gardner's Book "THE GLASS OF FREDERICK CARDER". I do not see either of these forms in the over 7,000 line drawings from the factory or other sources in the book. Admittedly several pages of line drawing are missing from the early period. I cannot recall any Steuben in any dual color with alabaster having the edge of the lid lined as your piece. Did not see anything on a internet search either.

As for the teapot  'm' Steuben made a similar version but the opening is a smaller diameter and a bit taller for the lid insert. The lid billows out and up from the insert.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 01:54:45 AM »
Thank you so much for checking the book and adding info re Steuben.

John that set is fabulous - but I do wonder who these glass teapots and table sets were designed for? I'd never use something like that.  Were they designed for frivolity and for show I wonder?

I'm sure both the boxes are Stevens and Williams and it's good to be able to discount Steuben.

I'll have another look in Charles Hajdamach's British Glass tomorrow to see if there is a pattern drawing for the left hand box although I'm certain it's S&W based on the lid of the teapot in the Corning and the knop shape to the marked piece I linked to up thread.

m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 07:13:26 PM »
I would assume they were intended for show rather than use, wary of judging another era by today's norms though. Not sure how practical they would be, not being made of borosilicate glass.    Loetz made tableware in the very popular Rusticanna pattern too.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 07:44:50 PM »
They and the teapot are entirely unpractical even by the norms of bygone days but I do wonder if they were produced to display on dressers though? There was a big interest in having a decorated dresser with plates and all the accoutrement.  The opaline and colours of these would look great on a dark wood dresser to be honest.
I can imagine the powder boxes being used though.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 05:59:22 PM »
Could be for display in your parlour too, assuming you have one to start with.

Seen more of the powder boxes over the years by comparison, they must have sold well at the time. Often quite chunky and large, far more practical and those rounded rims survive well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand