No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Gold Bird. ID = Archimede Seguso  (Read 3023 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Murano Gold Bird. ID = Archimede Seguso
« on: October 12, 2019, 03:47:44 PM »
I've spent hours trying to pin this piece down.  9.75" beak to tail (straight line measurement), tip of tail 5.5" high, weight 1048g.  Flat polished base with slight bevel on edge, some light scratches apparent.

My thinking is Seguso for the way the tail feathers have been done, and for the ombre effect in the gold.  Barovier & Toso have the same handling of tail feathers, but their pieces appear to have black eyes.  I couldn't rule Barbini in or out completely, and V.A.M.S.A. might be a possibility.  I'm as sure as I can be that it isn't Chinese or Japanese.

Really enjoyed the Murano Zoo website (https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/) but couldn't find an exact match.

He's a little darker than he appears in the pictures - the one of the underneath of the tail feathers (3rd pic) is closest.  4th pic is top of tail feathers.

He looks like a fancy pigeon, or a dove to me......any bird fanciers about?

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Re: Murano Gold Bird
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 03:51:27 PM »
base
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
Dear Mods.......I think I put this in the wrong place.  Please would you move it to the glass for identification section of the board.  Many thanks Cat
Cat 😺

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:04:52 AM »
Possibly Formia or Salviati.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 10:53:06 AM »
Thank you Nev, I'll have another look at Formia and Salviati.....I can't recall exactly why I discounted them, but it may have been the eyes.
Cat 😺

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 09:25:22 AM »
Had another go at this one and found what appears to be the matching cockerel, listed on eBay as Seguso.  Have sent a message to the seller re attribution.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163390183999

Looked at Formia again, and I remember that I thought the colour and body of labelled pieces made it a possible contender, but couldn't find a labelled piece with similar tail detail, and most of the labelled pieces had coloured eyes.

Will post back if I get a reply from the seller.
Cat 😺

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 11:01:17 AM »
Had another look at Salviati.  This labelled pair have similarities in the colour and the ombré effect, but the tail feathers are applied and the bases more fancy.  Also the treatment of the wings is quite different.  It would be lovely to think mine is Salviati, but it doesn't feel right to me.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/decorative-objects/sculptures/animal-sculptures/salviati-co-murano-glass-pheasants/id-f_6280363/

Cat 😺

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 06:44:09 PM »
What about a comparison with this Archimede Seguso pair?

John

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 08:38:27 PM »
Thanks John, I did think Seguso was the most likely answer, but I haven't been able to find a labelled example, or a book reference for confirmation.  Were you able to confirm the attribution for yours?  They're rather striking!
Cat 😺

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 09:32:45 AM »
There are several birds in Pina's book on Seguso which match very well, especially the construction of the beak and eyes along with that quite distinctive tail.

I think it was Anita who identified the pair positively as AS, she was happy enough to include them in the Murano Zoo, lots of AS examples in there spread over 5 pages, starting here:
https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/birds-by-archimede-seguso-1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand