No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: big vase Art Noveau? - ID = Andries Copier for Leerdam  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Re: big vase Art Noveau? any idea of ID
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
I'll throw this out there and then see what sticks, I think it looks like photo sensitive glass that was developed by Corning but was used by some studio artists in the late 20th century and a few continue to use it. Search photo sensitive glass in wikipedia and then in a google search and see what they show as illustrations of this type of glass. It was blown and then masks were put s on it and it was exposed to high amounts of UV and this creates the images within the glass. This may not be that all but it may worth a look. I've seen some of it in person and some artists have really been able to produce some amazing things with this particular glass.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 09:31:51 PM »
Gaffer glass who makes color rod for many of the different studios in the world used to make a photo sensitive glass for studios and may still have it available. The first time I saw it being used was many years ago at Dominic Labino's studio in Ohio. He was always experimenting with different things.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 10:20:46 PM »
Are there different thickness layers on the clear glass on the  horse flank and leg here or is it just the way the photo is taken with reflection?
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=68844.0;attach=229294;image

The photo sensitive glass sounds intriguing.  I'm off to have a peak at that process.

m

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 06:31:29 PM »

Good evening you glass whiz out there. I thought I know a lot about glass, but I do not ???  ???

Photo sensitiv Glass...Never heard

But I just spend a time with that vase, and it impresses me what you saw on photos what Idid‘t recognize before.
We have 3 fullbody horses, I‘m now pretty sure that ( was that Paul who mentioned it) they are acid carved. This orange peel effect is on the surface, the glass inside and beside is absolutely plain. Yes there are different thickness in the body and some parts I think are pre carved by wheel. I think they wanted the orange peel surface to give the horses a feeling and look like fur. The white bits you see is reflection.

The 3 horses by silhouette  are very sharpe in lines and edges, I think they are not acid. And I ‚m more and more convinced that the red layer is a flash ore something equal.

In the fullbody horses I think in the head the carving was enhanced by hand, they eyes and ears appear very deep and sharpe.

So I learned a lot, but still we are not on trail for ID, makes it really interesting.

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 06:48:34 PM »
This photosensitive Glas is very interesting, can‘t say if this is mine, not impossible. Unfortunately the Wikipedia article is only in English available and hard to understand. And it says that a couple of artists worked with it, but not who.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 11:05:20 PM »
Unfortunately the Wikipedia article is only in English available and hard to understand.

I am not good with the very modern tools and techniques but I guessed .... and found that this worked ...

1. Open the wiki page and copy the url to your clipboard:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_glass
2. Open google translate in a new tab / window
3. Set the "From" language to "English" and the "To" language to German
4. Paste the url into the "text box" for the "From" language
5. Click on the url in the "To" language
Google Translate will then open a new tab and display the article in German

Hope this is of help.  :)

(I wonder if there is an easier way?)
KevinH

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »
Copy and paste text into Google Translate for another method:

https://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en - this is set to translate to English but it is simple to change the source and destination languages. The auto detect does not work every time.

John

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2022, 11:07:08 PM »
Hallo again
If one is surching long enough you will succeed in the end!

I think I‘ve found the solution. Leerdam, maybe Copier.

https://www.nationaalglasmuseum.nl/steun-ons/schenken/

This vase on that side is 100% from the same hand. It is not clear if they take objects from other companys as Leerdam. But in January I plan a visit there anyway, then I will hopefully find that object.
Monika

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2022, 11:37:57 PM »
When I looked that up it appears to say on Pinterest
'Glass School decoration with three horses on loan to NGM Leerdam'

Unfortunately it doesn't say who designed or made the vase.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2022, 12:01:32 AM »
Does it look similar to this one?Yours looks to be the same shape and colour and also made in the same way.
This one is designed by A D Copier and made at the Glass school Leerdam according to that linked information from Botterweg - sale 2 April 2019.

'Roodglazen vaas met geëtste decoratie van St. Joris en de Draak, ontwerp A.D.Copier 1943, (Glasschool), uitvoering Glasfabriek Leerdam'

https://www.botterweg.com/Copier_A_D/Leerdam_Glasschool/tabid/59/lotid/36939/Kavel-36939.aspx?language=nl-NL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand