No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1800s old highball (pjolter) crystal glasses and ask for manufacturer + country?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline xlarge

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glas and keramik
    • Norway
Paul.
I often use google translate, thank you, but not together with finding a route at google map. A lot of histories about very very wrong suggestion there.

I have now tried everything (almost) to find something particular at the bottom of the glasses, but not easy to my knowledge. I also tried UV-lamp with no success. I enclose 4 pics, two from the slightly darker glass with some minor failure at the bottom and can see that there is something there which not are on the others - a sort of ring or bulb. I hope it can be seen on my pics. The two other pics from a glass (not a slightly darker glass) has not this ring.

Is the "sign" we are looking for under the bottom or on the side of the bottom?

Regards,
xlarge

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Those are great pictures - thank you!  I'm sure they will help.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
thanks xlarge - and your new pix appear to show that there is a pontil depression  -  ground then polished  -  under the foot of these glasses,
and am sure you know all about pontil rods and the removal of pontil scars, which is the process that creates the depression under the foot of vases, drinking glasses etc.             If you use a loupe/lens it's probably still possible to see the remains of grinding and polishing where the pontil scar was removed, and this same method will likely also show you similar grinding marks remaining on the sides of the glasses.
This feature indicates quality and probably some age, but beyond that my knowledge fails - sorry. 

Some examples of glass - no matter how hard we try for an identification - remain without attribution, and as you've spent much time looking without success, you may have to accept that either you'll not succeed, or it may be some years in the coming.         I'm still struggling to see these glasses as C19  -  appreciate the wheel engraving isn't a problem, nor perhaps the cutting, but it's that overall shape that gives a headache.

In your searching for an answer, have you been aware of seeing C19 drinking glasses with this waisted shape anywhere?          There was a fashion - somewhere in the early to mid C19 - for barrel shaped (convex) drinking glasses  -  the opposite shape of these.

Again, thanks for the pix, but we appear to be in the dark at the moment.                        catshome's optimism must now lead us on, hopefully, to something positive ;)

Offline xlarge

• Members
    • glas and keramik
    • Norway
Thanks Paul,

I have put in link to my two founds early in this thread. Both in Norway where a museum in Trøndelag, "Sverresborg" has one simular glass and the other a museum in Rogaland who has 10 glasses. These last 10 possibly from the famous writer Axel Kielland.

It seems that the glasses could not been produced after 1890, but the big question is in which country and which manufacturer.

I hope someone drop in to this thread even later and give the answer.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Hello xlarge -  I had earlier commented on your 'Danish' - your native tongue is Norwegian - so my apologies :-[

I've translated much of the museum text in your first link, and I don't see the word 'glass', but there is talk of horticulture (plants)  -  I must be going wrong somewhere. :)

You comment    .........….   "It seems that the glasses could not been produced after 1890, but the big question is in which country and which manufacturer."               
I think again that it's possible I've not understood all of your information in the links, but it does seem perhaps out of place to be so emphatic and say these glasses were made before 1890, when even the museum knows nothing about their origin/provenance.

Please explain if possible :)

As we all discover, glass travels  -  sometimes a great deal  -  and in truth these pieces may have come from anywhere in Europe -  perhaps the States even.           Maybe after all this debate, you should simply use them for drinking lager. ;)

Offline xlarge

• Members
    • glas and keramik
    • Norway
My strong conviction about 1890 is because I know the two possible persons with A.B. One born 1803 and dead 1883 and one born 1847 and dead 1890 (the son). One of the glasses has been ingraved A.B.

This also correspond with one of the museums suggestion.

As I have mentioned above, 5 of the glasses (not the engraved) seems to have been used more (minor damages under the foot) and possibly bought earlier.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
thanks xlarge  -  perhaps I'm just cautious about museum 'suggestions' based on nothing much really.    I hope sincerely that you do eventually discover the correct attribution for your glasses, and that your hoped for date is well founded. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand