No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scavo epidemic  (Read 6331 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 02:49:55 PM »
Quote from: "Ivo's book"
The process where corrosive chemical material is added to the surface of hot glass to give a matt finish. The final piece has a rough or "excavated" look.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 03:08:14 PM »
I do have another reason for asking, yesterday I bought a lot of latticino/zanfirico (take your pick - I still don't know when to call it one or t'other!) and a small flask, that I was going to ask about here in any case.

Here are the pics:
first three latticino pieces
other latticino, filigrana jug and poss. scavo flask
scavo on its own

Is this what you mean by scavo?  Is it one of your fakes do you think?

I'd be interested in any views on the other pieces too, I think I might have paid too much for them  :cry:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline chuggy

• Members
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 03:16:21 PM »
Lynne the finger bowl and under plate are either Venini or Salviati what are the bases like. The scavo piece could be Cenedese, but with the multitude of other options I'm now far from certain. The interesting piece is the little filegrana joy as unusual with an applied clear handle like that whats the base of that like?
A nice mixed batch though.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 03:20:59 PM »
Paul, they are still wrapped up, these are the quick and dirty pics from the auction view - I'll get them unwrapped and photo'd for you with bases etc. before I list them.  

Interesting that you say that the bowl and plate go together - do you think they will be more commercial offered together rather than separately?

I like the little jug as well!  Very pretty.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline chuggy

• Members
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 03:30:54 PM »
If they are Venini which with the gold thread running through the zanfirico cane is quite likely then I would definitely keep them together as most get split up and for a collector it's a pain pairing them back up again.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 03:42:03 PM »
Remember the yellow decanter I posted?

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5144.0.html

Does this have a Scavo effect, or was I right in assuming Corroso?

I also have a tall Cenedese (labelled) bud vase with this type of effect. I'll post it later for comparison.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 11:11:02 PM »
Lynn, I have no idea what on earth you have bought, but the stripped ones (especially green) are soooooo pretty! Lucky you  :!:   :oops:  (okay, now imagine green instead of red  :)  )

Carolyn

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 03:07:41 AM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
...Does this have a Scavo effect, or was I right in assuming Corroso?

I also have a tall Cenedese (labelled) bud vase with this type of effect. I'll post it later for comparison.

Looks like a type of Corroso finish, not Scavo.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 03:12:24 AM »
Quote from: "josordoni"

scavo on its own

Is this what you mean by scavo?  Is it one of your fakes do you think?

Hi Lynne,
That one doesn't look like a Scavo piece to me. Too much of it is clean, with an iridescent surface. I'll post some of the ones I have in my collection, and I'll post the 1 I think its a newer piece too.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 05:18:49 PM »
I would never attribute those filigranas to Venini, but that's just me.  Salviati and Fratelli Toso are both strong possibilities.

The ruby colored pitcher looks like an iridized piece to me. I don't see anything "scavo" about it. However, it's hard to see in the photo exactly what's going on with the finish.  It's a lovely piece, but I'm not sure it's Italian. I'd be interested in seeing more photos.

The little signed decanter is not Scavo. It seems to be what's called "frosted" glass.  Scavo is a very rough finish - so rough that you could light a match on it.

Javier is right that there are tons of new scavos out there. I'm not sure most of them are Italian. Cenedese still makes them, but they are signed. As Ivo pointed out, there are lots of replicas of Roman glass that have a Scavo finish.  

The early Alfredo Barbini for Cenedese scavos tend to have lots of different (but muted) colors applied to the glass.  Their forms are decidely primative, without ornamentation.  They are also quite heavy. If the piece offered by the German seller didn't have that curious Seguso sticker, I would have thought it an early Cenedese vase.  That such a good reproduction exists worries me more than the cheap Scavos offered all over ebay.

Laura

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand