No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scavo epidemic  (Read 6328 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 06:14:57 PM »
Thanks Javier and Laura - I'll take some photos over the weekend and get them up so we can see what we have here.

The little jug was in a lot of Murano, but it was just catalogued as Latticino and other glass, so that is not a lot of help  :cry:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2006, 05:56:31 AM »
Quote from: "Laura Friedman"
I would never attribute those filigranas to Venini, but that's just me.  Salviati and Fratelli Toso are both strong possibilities.

I agree with that. They look like older Salviati or Toso pieces to me than anything Venini.  

The ruby colored pitcher looks like an iridized piece to me. I don't see anything "scavo" about it. However, it's hard to see in the photo exactly what's going on with the finish.  It's a lovely piece, but I'm not sure it's Italian. I'd be interested in seeing more photos.

It looks like the glass around the middle is bubbling up? Maybe you can post this vase in the Main Glass board when you get some new photos. I think its very interesting. It might be a Spanish piece too. The way the neck and mouth of the vase are made does make me think its an older piece.

Javier is right that there are tons of new scavos out there. I'm not sure most of them are Italian. Cenedese still makes them, but they are signed. As Ivo pointed out, there are lots of replicas of Roman glass that have a Scavo finish.

I have seen a ton of the little scavo vases with twisted handles around the necks on Ebay lately, well thats not true, since I've been on Ebay! Some are described as Roman glass, and others as Murano. One of the reasons im not touching those anymore. I did buy 1 very large blue vase, that I thought was an older Scavo piece, but the more time passes, I think I bought a new vase. I still need to post a pic of it. I bought it because of the color, it was blue, and has applied white handles that looked old (from the small pictures).

... If the piece offered by the German seller didn't have that curious Seguso sticker, I would have thought it an early Cenedese vase.  That such a good reproduction exists worries me more than the cheap Scavos offered all over ebay.

I know, my first thought too. I have a few book which do show older Cenedese Scavo pieces and it looks like something early, but seeing how it had a Seguso label, a new one at that, and how it looked like an older piece, made me wonder if they werent just appliying the labels repros. I'd really like to see if the Seguso Vetri book is coming out soon, to see if any of these styles are really being made by Seguso or what.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline horochar

• Members
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »
Here is my first posting ever on this board, to which nobody ever replied(!)
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3901.0.html
Since the topic of scavo is under consideration...  It was purchased early in my collecting, and based on the nature of these discussions my hopes are dim.
Thanks,
Charles.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2006, 07:37:29 PM »
Here's a Roman glass repro being sold as Cenedese:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Murano-Vintage-Cenedese-irideshent-glass-vase_W0QQitemZ160022379666

ebay item 160022379666

Offline horochar

• Members
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2006, 09:30:14 PM »
Thanks Laura.  That phony baloney eBay listing (from Italy, no less!) answers my questions about my piece.  Buyers beware!  Seems the only way to avoid getting ripped off these days with scavo, pulegoso or the like is to study collectors guides (discounting the attribtuions by 50%) and then seek out real pieces from antique shows or auction previews.  Once there, pick up and hold as many as you dare.  The little purple edged "pulegoso" bowl (pictured below) looked like a masterpiece in the thrift store, but once home after comparing it to my Seguso pulegoso bowls, I concluded that the $2.00 I paid was about double its value.
Charles.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 07:59:16 PM »
Here are a few vintage Scavo pieces from my collection.

Cenedese Signed and Labeled

Signed Barbini for Oggetti

Signed Barbini Object

www.SVAZZO.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2006, 12:11:54 PM »
Ok act got together.  Here are the pics of the Latticino bowl and plate, the filigrana juglet, and the iridized ewer.  I look forward to your varying views  :lol:

White filigrana jug

iridized red ewer

Latticino bowl and plate

The white filigrana jug and the bowl/plate are very light and delicate, much lighter than the other latticino pieces in the original auction pics, which have much thicker rims.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline chuggy

• Members
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2006, 03:45:31 PM »
I know I'm in a minority and Laura and Javier don't agree, but I'm pretty certain the finger bowl and under plate are Venini. These were NEVER marked and when in Italy a few years back I saw a whole table layout in this work which had been commisioned from Venini. If you look at the bottom of the bowl the way it is finished is completely different to the bottom of Salviati pieces, so until someone conclusively proves otherwise to me I'm digging my heels in on this one.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2006, 10:25:57 PM »
Hi Paul,
Please dont take it as ganging up on you.
If you saw these as Venini we take your word for it.
Maybe we can start a new topic on the Salviati/Toso pieces and Venini ones, with samples of the bottoms on them so we can see the difference.
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Scavo epidemic
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 12:04:34 AM »
Chuggy, I'm not ganging up on you at all. In fact, there's only me and the cat here, and he's too sleepy to gang up on anything.  :P

Did you see these at Venini? Where the ones you saw labeled or signed?

The type of filigranas shown here are common - I mean, variations are at every antique show I go to.  I've seen them with labels other than Venini, and have never seen anything remotely like them in any of the Venini literature.

I certainly believe that someone could commission Venini to do filigranas. However, I cannot believe that all these filigranas, of which there are doznes on ebay at any one time, could be wrongly attributed in all the literature for so long.

See my point?

Laura

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand