No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: stopperless paperweight - possibly Scottish?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
stopperless paperweight - possibly Scottish?
« on: October 28, 2019, 05:11:45 PM »
Unfortunately, the stopper has gone missing, but it was only a couple of quid this morning so no great outlay.              I'm very ignorant of such things but am thinking probably Perthshire (Scotland) but stand to be corrected, and likely made somewhere in the last 20 years or thereabouts.            Whether such things were made with a practicable purpose - such as an ink well - I've no idea, maybe just an ornament.
A tad under 3 inches in height and very little wear.
So, if someone will be kind enough  to send me a spare stopper that will be great  ;) ;)          Any and all information appreciated.   thanks.
sorry pix are a bit naff.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: stopperless paperweight - possibly Scottish?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:22:19 PM »
thanks for the link John  -  for some reason I didn't think of small scents - just a shame I don't have the stopper.      Wouldn't have held much ink anyway!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 11:02:56 PM »
John is correct.

I believe the features of this bottle-without-stopper (size, shape of body and size and shape of neck rim) show that it was a PP22 model, dated to "1973 through 1982". later versions included a "P" signature cane. The bottom of the bottle had a translucent colour ground below the concentric circles of canes.

Size with stopper in place = 5 1/2 inch height which ties in with Paul's indication of "a tad under 3 inch" without the stopper. The stopper for this model would have "coloured bands" running vertically - as seen in the PP22 section of the pages that John linked to - click a pic for a larger view.

[Item details from 1st "Perthshire Paperweights" book copyright 1997.]

I think most collectors use paperweight-related scent bottles, and ink wells, as decorative items. But the stoppers which have elongated shanks (scents, not ink wells) ought to work ok as apllicators for scent. I wouldn't really know as I haven't tried it.  ;D
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand