No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone recognize this Mark? Cut crystal Highballs - ID = Galway Crystal  (Read 1424 times)

Offline justjeff

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage and art glass, crystal
    • Richmond, VA USA
I figured I would post this in this group since there are a lot of folks on the east side of the pond here and I'm feeling the lettering may be Cyrillic. These stand 5 1/4" tall and are vertical and criss-cross cut. Thanks!

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
Re: Anyone recognize this Mark? Cut crystal Highballs
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 11:55:10 PM »
I figured it out... it's Galway Crystal.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 08:06:28 AM »
well done :)   -   looking at the letter style, it appears to be similar to that used by Waterford  -  a sort of Gothic black letter, do you think?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »
I've got a funny feeling Galway is fairly new. Similar to Glencairn in Scotland.
Both riding on the coat-tails of Waterford and Edinburgh a bit. Not quite the same quality though.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 07:52:40 PM »
well done :)   -   looking at the letter style, it appears to be similar to that used by Waterford  -  a sort of Gothic black letter, do you think?

Yeah definitely Gothic-style lettering. So many of the letters were cut off that it made it hard to decipher but I found a mark on a third glass that I didn't see before that showed it more clearly. Damn near impossible to photo though  :P

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 08:41:47 PM »
there are those here who suggest a little talc rubbed over the backstamp can improve legibility.          It's a shame that cutting styles have lost appeal but then perhaps this is what the public want  -  plus modern cutting is over acid polished usually, so sharpness is lost, and in a sense you might as well save some money and buy pressed glass to start with. ;)
I'm being a tad cynical jeff - just that I'm a big fan of pre 1950 cut glass which often feels more alive than current material.

I guess these backstamps are applied after the foot is cut, which is what makes for difficulty in deciphering when they're applied to such an uneven surface.                     R.B. seem to have the same rather dotty idea, and theirs can be equally difficult to read sometimes, but you get to recognize some parts of makers stamps, though I've yet to see a Galway Crystal backstamp, and I think this one would have foxed me too.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand