No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Robert Burns Sulphide Paperweight Possibly Ysart  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Anne1942

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Robert Burns Sulphide Paperweight Possibly Ysart
« on: October 27, 2019, 03:41:04 PM »
Hello Everyone

I am looking to take advantage of your knowledge. I have a 3 inch paperweight which weighs 446g I have been told it is an Ysart paperweight. Having read a number of articles I see there are a lot of fakes out their and would like some advice on the one in the images I have attached.

Kind Regards

Anne

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Robert Burns Sulphide Paperweight Possibly Ysart
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 06:58:21 PM »
Welcome to the message board Anne. This weight was identified as made by Salvador Ysart and it has some canes that match yours - the clusters of white 'flowers', they are on the outer edge in this weight. Bases match too.

This is not my area of expertise and would be interested to hear what others have to say about the copies that were made.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 12:57:35 AM »
Hi Anne, welcome to the Board.

The easy part ... don't be concerned about the mention of "fake Ysart weights" - they do not apply (as far as I know) to weights with a sulphide.

Now the trcky bit ...

Yes it's an Ysart weight, but which Ysart?

There are many examples of the exact same sulphide in other weights that have "Ysart canes" in them. Many people claim Paul Ysart as the maker and others claim Salvador Ysart (Paul's father) made them.

I believe that the majority I have seen, if not all, were made by Salvador Ysart and probably in the years 1946 to around 1953 at the Ysart Brothers works (tradename "Vasart"). But there is one I have seen online that was faceted to the top and sides and the base flat polished - and those features could indicate Paul rather than Salvador - but could the faceting have been done as repair work> Hmm!!!

It wiould take a lot of typing to explain why I believe what I do, but this subject has been discussed within another thread from March 2018 - Sulphide Paperweight info needed

Please take some time to browse that thread at leisure. It is quite complex, especially for folk new to the subject. But I have set out many pros and cons as to why I favour Salvador Ysart as the maker.

A lot of my research into these (and other) Ysart weights has been through analysis of the millefiori canes. I have produced, from weights in my own collection, a Gallery of 416 "Early Ysart Canes" published over three issues of the Paperweight Collectors Circle Newsletter (2016 / 2017. Nos 122, 123, 124).

The analysis has shown (from 80 "Salvador items" and about 80 "Paul Ysart items with millefiori") 14 matched canes used by both Salvador and Paul. But only one of the two canes in your weiight appears within my collection - the "orange one" - and I have that noted as "Early Ysart / Salvador".

Notes:
a) The match of cane that John mentioned for both your weight and his "striped ground weight" is not a true full match - the main colour of the internal elements differ (on my screen). His cane has white for the detailed elements but yours is a clear pastel blue for the internal elements. However it is the same structure (13 internal elements around 6 inner elements around a single cane centre. But ...

b) John's cane DOES appear in my Gallery (for those readers with copies of the Newsletters, it is No 337 in Issue 124, July 2017). And that cane IS matched for use in at least one of my Paul Ysart weights. But the rest of the features of John's weight point to Salvador as the maker.

c) In your sulphide weight, the other cane (Orange main colouring) appears in my Cane Gallery as No 322, in Issue 124, July 2017. I have not found it in any of my Paul Ysart weights, so I have it marked as "Early Ysart / Salvador".

In summary, takiing account of my remarks here and in the thread that John linked to, I believe your weight was made by Salvador Ysart.

I look forward to other folks' comments.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne1942

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »
Hi

I would like to thank both of you for sharing your knowledge. I have read all related posts and have learned a great deal about Ysart paperweights and who made what and when.

Many Thanks

Anne

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand