No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling designs 1932 - 1947  (Read 10718 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jobling designs 1932 - 1947
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2019, 11:15:37 PM »
here are the remaining two designs from 8th August 1934, for which Franckhauser did in fact make the original plaster moulds.     BoT protection expired on 8th August 1939 for both.
It's slightly confusing to say 'two' designs in this instance, since they both in fact carry the same Jobling catalogue No. of 11700, but there is a noticeable difference in appearance and they do have different Registration Nos. - so two it is then.

Registration No. 795461 - celery vase with straight sides

Registration No. 795462 - celery vase with flanged neck.

In other respects they appear to be identical (both designs have very Lalique looking handles) - that said I've never seen one in the flesh. and the factory catalogue page that Baker & Crowe have used shows only the straight version and makes no mention of alternative prices or sizes - so assume both types were 8" tall and same price for both.
I can't see an image of the flanged job anywhere in the booklet so would appear the authors either unable to find a picture or, equally possible I suppose, the factory might never have issued one.
There's a photograph in the booklet on page 16 - a reproduction of a snap taken at the British Industries Fair in 1939 - showing what I think is the straight sided model - I don't think it's the flanged version - perhaps Steven will know better on this one.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2019, 01:22:17 AM »
Hi Paul,

I have a photo of the hart salt and will add it when I get back home (Fox salt added below). It seems the examples photographed for registration have not been satinised/ frosted -- this makes them much harder to photograph as they will show more reflections.

Regarding the 11700 celery, it's the straight variant which seems to be the rare one. I've had plenty of flanged examples but have never seen a straight sided version during my many years of collecting Jobling glass. I'll have a look at the photo in the book when I get back to see if it does appear to be a straight-sided version.

Speaking of flanged rims, I see the registration pics for the Bird & Panel vase show what appears to be the smaller (nominally 8 inch ) version and that the illustrated piece has a less widely flanged neck than most copies I've seen -- perhaps this explains the disparity between the catalogued dimensions (8 inches in height) and the real world measurements (~7 1/2 inches tall).

Below, Fox Salt Cellar, Flanged 11700 Celery Vase and smaller Bird and Panel Vase showing the typically flanged neck:

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2019, 06:30:28 AM »
Have checked and the 11700 vase shown on p. 16 of Baker and Crowe appears to be the flanged version (rim flares outwards at the top).

Some hopefully clearer photos of the Hart Salt Cellar: catalogue number 10600 (Regn. No. 795459 - this example doesn't have the number moulded in). To my eyes it looks more like an ibex/ mountain goat rather than a hart:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 08:51:35 AM »
many thanks for the additional pix Steven.      Taking photographs, from the Kew archives, that show a level of contrast/definition that makes them fit for purpose for this thread, is often difficult.       Glossy 1930s b. & w. snaps all too easily pick up glare from overhead lighting, and some even show glare that was captured when the original picture was taken, so your pix much appreciated.
Looking at my recent pictures from Kew, above, of the two celeries, they show what appear to be clear glass bases, though I've no idea what description you might give to the dark glass of the bodies.

Have to say I agree that visually it's unclear that the hart salt was in fact a stag - had M. Franckhauser modelled these salt cellars they might have looked more recognizable.

After I'd said the p. 16 picture showed a straight sided celery, I regretted my comment fairly quickly  -  the piece in question is a tad small within the overall image  -  anyway a flanged celery it is then.
There was a time I collected celeries, and looking back at my own archive pix there seems to be a general mix of straight sided and flanged-rim designs - so no idea why the former design from Jobling should be so rare.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »
I think the 'hart' and fox salts are well modelled and quite likely by Franckhauser. The issue seems to be in the naming: this happens elsewhere with Jobling glass. The 'fir cone' pattern more closely resembles pine cones (at least the needles look piney), 'Tudor rose' is a stylised rose similar to that seen on glass by Ezan and other French makers and not a true Tudor rose. I suspect These French designs were (re)named in house to appeal to the British market.

Interestingly there is a French salt in a similar form to the fox and hart but depicting a cat. I don't recall the maker off the top of my head, but I think it's either Costebelle or Verlux.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2019, 10:17:21 AM »
Two more designs - both dated 22nd August 1934 - original moulds for both indicated as having been made by M. Franckhauser. 

Registration 795793 - elephant, one of Joblings 'Opalique Novelties' - 3.5 inches tall - factory catalogue No. 10700  -   not quite in the same rarefied league as the B. & T. rose opalescent elephant posy-holder - but nonetheless a nice piece, and in 1934 you could have purchased a dozen of them for 60/- (pronounced 'sixty shillings') …….   £3.00 in today's money.

I don't think we have an image of the B. & T. elephant on the Board's archive, so will look for the original factory drawing/photo when I'm next at Kew.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »
and the other design from 22nd August 1934  …...….

Registration 795794 - 'Jade Trinket Set' (this set may have been produced in Jade only - but unsure)  ……..   the tray size is 15.75" x 10.75", and there were two sizes of 'puff' jar apparently.             Factory catalogue No. 12500

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »
would agree with Steven's comments regarding the 'hart' salt cellar (10610) Reg. 795460, insofar as the style of horns make for some resemblance to an Ibex.               Having looked again at the factory catalogue page in Baker & Crowe, I've only just realized it appears that the initial idea looks to have been that the horns/antlers were intended to be in partial relief from the rest of the animal's head  -  the picture shows them mostly projecting out from the rest of the model.
I'd imagine disaster would have loomed very quickly had the model actually been made as such, which is possibly why the production pieces were made with the horns/antlers moulded in with the rest of the head.                      Might though have made the animal look more like a hart :)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2019, 12:28:29 PM »
Although the trinket set is only catalogued in jade, it was also produced in tortoiseshell (unfrosted amber cloud glass).

See here on Chris and Val Stewarts' Cloud Glass site: http://cloudglass.com/Joblingcat.htm

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2019, 05:29:48 PM »
Here's the link to the Jobling 12500 trinket set on Anne's site:
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/cms3/english/jobling/12500

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia