No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling designs 1932 - 1947  (Read 11028 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jobling designs 1932 - 1947
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2019, 09:03:31 PM »
next up  ………..

Registration 799626 - flat leaf-pattern candlestick  -  factory catalogue No. 2594  -  this may have been another of the 'Opalique' only designs, certainly the booklet doesn't indicate any other colour or material, although the image here presumably shows a plaster model only.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2019, 09:22:59 PM »
and onward …………

Registration 799627  -  dolphin candlestick  -  factory catalogue No. 2599.

the 'dolphin' as a motif had a good run for it's money adorning various pressed glass designs, though mainly in the C19 - it appears on some very well known Sowerby and Davidson items -  some designs were Registered, others weren't, and some were almost comical.        I'm not sure if the Heppel Registrations were dolphins or fish.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »
continuing with 23rd January 1935 …….

Registration 799628  -  seahorse statuette  -  factory catalogue 10710   -     the factory catalogue appears to show that this item was made in 'Opalique' only.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2019, 09:57:33 PM »
again from 23rd January 1935  ……..

Registration 799629  -  double fish statuette  -   factory catalogue No. 10740.        Available in 'Opalique' and flint.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2019, 10:01:33 PM »
yet more from 23rd January 1935  …………

Registration 799630  -  bear bookends  -  factory catalogue No. 10760  -  available, says the factory catalogue, in flint and amber.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2019, 11:39:40 PM »
next up  ………..

Registration 799626 - flat leaf-pattern candlestick  - 

Is that a thistle???

Carolyn

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2019, 05:56:24 AM »
Interestingly the production versions of the flat leaf-pattern candlesticks have a raised rim that is missing from the plaster model.

Re. the double fish colours, I have an amber example but I don't know if this was regular production, or a trial piece or special order. The double fish is very rare and most examples I've seen seem to have some damage to the tail...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2019, 08:39:24 AM »
I'd suggest that when it comes to artistic representations of real things, there is a tendency to stylize the appearance, frequently.      It's a natural consequence in art - real is a tad boring, so we create images with a bit more fancy and phantasy - somehow they look better - generally art is more concerned with our emotion than accuracy.

My opinion is that I don't think the leaf-pattern candlestick is meant to be interpreted as thistle related, though agree it does give a slight nod in that direction when viewed quickly  -  but I could be wrong.        I'm rather a philistine when it comes to accuracy of plant related pix, but the appearance of the leaves might suggest acanthus or perhaps chrysanthemum, but again it may just be a stylized something  -  I thought the top bit that holds the candle reminded me of a tulip flower head. :-\

thanks for the additional pix and information Steven - you have some exceptional and very desirable glass.               Are you having any success with the un-Registered items?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2019, 09:29:19 PM »
here are the last four from January 1935  -  Registrations Nos. 799631 - 799634  …….   spread over four separate posts.

Registration 799631 - seal statuette  -  factory catalogue No. 10750 - in 'Opalique' and flint.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2019, 10:18:44 PM »
Registration 799632  -  crinoline lady ornament  -  factory catalogue No. 2597.

on page 29 of their booklet, Baker & Crowe show this lady, in pink, standing in the centre of what the factory described as a 'bowl' supported on a black glass plinth.            This combination of table centre piece of figure, bowl, frog and plinth, was a common design seen in many guises throughout the years between the wars and from several countries, though now not so many remain as full sets.                Bowls and plinths are now seen often on their own.

Jobling's factory catalogues don't give sizes, so I've no idea of the dimensions etc. for this item, but it's interesting to see that in the list of Jobling's Registered designs in the booklet, these authors relegate this 'bowl' to the status of 'dish', which might indicate that it's an item smaller than Jobling's usual bowl size.
A slightly surprising oddity is the fact that whilst the lady you see in the BoT photo, attached, was a design Registered on 23.01.1935, the dish - which carries a separate catalogue No. 2596, was a design not lodged with the BoT until 30.03.1935, and carries the Registration 801662.
As with other 'component' designs, it appears that parts could be purchased separately, though had you bought the lady in January '35 you would have waited for the dish for a couple of months.          At what stage in this timing the block and plinth were introduced I've no idea.

How the block sat in the dish I can't visualize  -  the factory catalogue image used in the booklet appears not to show the block, but it might just be the perspective used that means it's out of sight- it could be hiding in the bottom of the dish.        I've no idea of the true colour of the 'dark lady' in picture No. 3  -  sets were apparently issued in green, blue, amber and pink, satin finish.

I don't presently have a picture of the dish to show and I'm trying not to get designs out of numerical sequence, so it will need to wait until later this week when I'm back at Kew.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand