No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling designs 1932 - 1947  (Read 10868 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jobling designs 1932 - 1947
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2019, 10:27:56 PM »
Registration 799633 - butterfly statuette  -  factory catalogue No. 10720.            Available in 'Opalique' and flint, in satin finish.

possibly in a similar way to Steven's comments about the double fish motif and the frequent loss of parts of the extremities, this butterfly looks to be another candidate for potential damage - but a nice piece.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »
and the final item from January 1935 ……..

Registration 799634 - bear statuette  -  factory catalogue No. 10730.                  Again, 'Opalique' and flint, in satin finish.

I've no idea what the lead pencil marks were intended for in the second picture - it looks to be the case that the legs and infill were intended to be a solid moulded part of the design  -  some quality models of pressed glass animals do allow for the item to stand on legs only.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2019, 12:37:48 AM »
Hi Paul,

The bowl for the crinoline lady is pretty large -- not obviously smaller than the typical float bowls that come with the 2541 figure. There is no separate block, the lady sits directly in the bowl as I recall.

Sadly I have neither the lady nor the bowl, However, there are some great pictures of the set on Black Poppy's site here:
http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2012_08_16_0707.jpg
http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2012_08_16_0710.jpg
http://www.black-poppy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2012_08_16_0711.jpg

Note that the plinth for this set differs from the more common type. while the overall shape is the same, this has a raised centre which the bowl sits over. The common type has a raised rim which the foot rim of the bowl sits within.

Re. the unregistered designs, I'm working on getting the list together but it's taking longer than I anticipated. I'm also having trouble finding photographs of some pieces as they were on my old computer whose hard drive has since failed... I have some on Flickr which I hoped to re-download, but now I'm in China I'm having difficulty accessing that site.

Will have something up this week though :)

Steven

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2019, 08:11:53 AM »
Hi Steven  -  thanks as always for the informative input and pictures  -  Black Poppy's glass is very attractive in the satin finish, and would assume then that this is a very rare set.

Apologies if my earlier comments weren't thought of as being of a pushy nature - just wondering how you might have been progressing  -  anything you are able to add will be very welcome, and there's no rush whatsoever  -  I shall probably be ticking on with this subject for a week or two yet.
I'm hoping to be at TNA later this week if possible, failing which next, when I hope to find the remaining sixteen items from the Baker & Crowe list of Registered designs.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2019, 09:49:56 PM »
continuing ………………….   

Registration 799881 dated 02.02.1935 - "Three Graces" comport  -  Jobling catalogue No. 2593.          The booklet shows an example in blue, and states that it was also available in green, amber and pink.           The original factory photo - showing here - appears to show a clear example which possibly doesn't give as good an idea of the detail of the ladies as the coloured version might.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2019, 11:09:06 PM »
Registration No. 800439 - dated 19.02.1935 - Jobling catalogue No. 12000.                 Unlike me, the observant will notice this design carries the same factory catalogue No. as an earlier design, which was the salad bowl - fish pattern - Registration 796188 from the previous year.
The motif is indeed the same - a stylized swimming fish that has a sort of prehistoric look.     

It appears that this recurrence of the same catalogue No. happens two or three times during the entire period of Jobling's manufacture.
In the world of pressed glass in the second half of the C19 it wasn't uncommon for a factory to Register a new decoration/shape, and then produce a variety of other shapes (a suite) all of which in some way would incorporate an element of the original decoration which appeared on the first Registered shape, avoiding the need to Register all subsequent shapes.       This was obviously acceptable to the BoT, provided that subsequent designs carried the identical decoration  -  probably a money saving exercise.

Having said that, this practice looks to have ceased in the C20  -  for example, from 1921 onward for many years, Stuart apparently registered a variety of different shapes within the same Stratford Rings suite, not seeming to use the advantage of the initial 'rings' design as anchor for all subsequent shapes.          Perhaps there's something I'm missing in this work practice which would explain why the Victorian habit ceased.

Baker & Crowe show a single example of this vase, in 'Opalique' - satin finish, though the factory catalogue image is poor in terms of contrast -  quite what the BoT photo, below, is showing I'm not sure  -  it looks like a clear body with only the fish in opalescent?       

Not an easy photo to photograph - a lack of adequate contrast in the original picture doesn't help, but this is the best I can do   -   perhaps Steven can offer a better picture. 

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2019, 11:30:37 PM »
More pics of the 12000 Ribbon Fish Vase below. The example registration photo looks not to have been satinised. The 1935 catalogue only lists opalique satin finish, however, I have a non-satinised version which was discussed here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,59707.msg337247.html#msg337247 (more pics in thread).

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2019, 11:16:08 PM »
thanks for the additional pix and information Steven, it is an attractive design and I can understand the multiple purchases.

To continue  …………………              Registration 800440 dated 19.02.1935 - posy vase  -  Jobling catalogue No. 2595 - and according to factory records available in flint, green, amber and clear.

A rather longer post coming up tomorrow, which others will hopefully contribute to.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2019, 01:58:57 AM »
Just to add, the 2595 was also made in blue: I have an early blue example (engraved 'Regn. applied For' mark), as well as an unusual, seemingly later, example which has a blue satin finish which appears that it might have been sprayed on (will have to examine it more closely).

The design was offered in 3 sizes which have different pattern numbers (will have to check Baker & Crowe later as I don't recall the pattern number of the 8-inch version), the largest of which is described as 10 inches in diameter and is catalogued as no. 2621.

There is some variation with the rim on these. The versions with 'Regn. Applied For' marks that i've seen all have flat, horizontal rims. however, many later production examples have rims which are turned down to some extent. I've even owned one with a weird wavy rim but I think that was a frigger or experimental piece as I've never seen another.

I've had green unmarked examples (no regn. no.) which were in non-uranium glass, suggesting that they may have continued to be made post-war.

2621 10 inch posy in uranium green with matching frog:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
These last two Reg. Nos. - 800439/40 - appear in Baker & Crowe, also in The Glass Association Blue Book, which is what you'd expect for decorative glass designs, and occasional cross-referencing between these two sources can sometimes be useful in order to confirm Reg Nos. and the relevant Registrant.             
There are perhaps another dozen or so Jobling design Registrations, which appear in the Blue Book - from the '30s and mid '40s  - but which aren't included in the autthors' list of decorative glass items - and in fact there are two items in Baker & Crowe from '46 and '47 which come after the closing date of the Blue Book.   
Obviously the compilers of the Blue Book included every item of whatever nature provided it was glass related (BoT CLASS 3), and appear not to have made any distinction between aesthetically decorative glass and humble Shippams paste pots.     Occasionally they slipped up and glass items are known to have been omitted from the Blue Book due to being placed in the wrong CLASS.            Generally, Jobling Rd. Nos. that occur in the Blue Book only are doubtless not decorative glass in the sense we understand, since this factory produced many designs for domestic and commercial lighting, and none of those appear in Baker & Crowe, who seem to have been methodical and accurate when making the distinction between decorative glass and lighting designs - in fact their own list is described as for  ' ......    decorative glass designs'.   

However, coming back to the above two Rd. Nos.  -   and for those who have both publications  -   there is an apparent anomaly insofar as Baker & Crowe show only those two Reg. Nos. for 19.02.1935, whereas the Blue Book shows five Nos. for the same date  -  800439/43  -  so, for whatever reason the last three Nos. in the sequence aren't included on the Baker & Crowe list  -  and having now seen the missing Nos. can confirm they aren't lighting items.                               It's a known feature of Jobling's catalogue numbering system that one or two designs were repeated, on different shapes occasionally, though such few examples look to have always been given individual Reg. Nos.  - for example cat. No. 12000 for the fish motif.         
Is the absence of these Nos. from their list a deliberate act by Baker & Crowe - who were aware of them, but considered earlier Registration didn't warrant repeating the design?    Or might it have been the utility appearance that meant they didn't qualify as decorative glass?    or some element of both?   -   but I'd suggest that most of us would consider it necessary that all Reg. Nos. should be included to avoid this sort of confusion.
The Blue Book wasn't published until some eleven years after the Jobling museum catalogue, though Baker & Crowe do acknowledge the Registers of Designs (The Patent Office - London) in their list of source material, so we might assume they had seen that 19th February 1935 contained five separate Registrations.

Here are details of the three Reg. Nos. from 19.02.1935, not included in the Baker & Crowe list:- 

Reg. 800441 - a style of double dish, perhaps intended for nibbles/bon bon/peanuts  - it looks to have some opalescence in the centre.            I could be very wrong, but this design doesn't appear to have any precedent amongst Jobling's other designs?             

Reg. 800442 - a lidded jar with identical criss-cross pressed pattern which matches Jobling's catalogue No. 2583 - the 'salad bowl' from Registration 805376 dated 10.08.1935.

Reg. 800443 - again we're back to the pressed three-footed salad bowl catalogue No. 2583, and I don't see any apparent difference between this image and 805376, so I'm wondering if 800443 might just be Registering the similar footed milk jug showing in the same photo, rather than the salad bowl.

Interesting to see how the original photographer has tried to improve contrast by filling the cavities with either black or white paper, though I'm not sure it really helps.      Pix attached for all three missing Registrations.          Does anyone have examples to show of the double dish for nibbles, or the milk jug?

Appreciate there are others here who have collections of Jobling and are better informed as to production details  -  so look forward to their input and comments on this matter  -  thanks:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand