No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling designs 1932 - 1947  (Read 10946 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Jobling designs 1932 - 1947
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »
My 2583 is very small for a salad bowl, though quite generous for sugar, as was the way then http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/normal_jobling_salad_2583.jpg
Perhaps it came in two sizes

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2019, 08:02:43 PM »
yes, perhaps it did  -  there are a few of Jobling's bowls that did in fact come in more than one size.      I'm not sure what 'very small' constitutes with your bowl - the original factory blurb quotes one size of 7.5" x 5.25", which sounds a tad large for a sugar bowl, but compared to the fish salad bowl (cat. 12000) which is 11" x 4.5", then yes the footed job is a bit small for salad.

Is your example uranium Christine.

No doubt Steven will enlighten us, hopefully, as to the existence of other sizes of 2583.           Perhaps salads in 1935 were lean things:-)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2019, 07:07:37 AM »
Yes it's uranium Paul and it's 5.5 in diameter, which is large for sugar but I've had many in glass and china of a comparable size

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2019, 09:59:40 PM »
this next design consists of two parts - I wonder how many have survived complete, as pairs.

Registration No. 800714 dated 27.02.1935 - cigarette box/ashtray - catalogue No. 2598.

Certainly the factory catalogue image doesn't show this Registration as a two-part design, neither does it appear that Baker & Crowe indicate as such  -  on the other hand photos sent to the BoT in 1935 show the two parts separated/unassembled, as shown in the attached pix.
When joined, the square shaped part ('the box'), in photo No. 3 sits atop the squat lower unit (the ashtray), in photo No. 4, and whilst I've never seen an example I'd suggest the following - though I stand to be corrected.

When not in use the pair are united - box on top of ashtray, with the box acting as a repository for cigarettes and the complete unit placed on a table.         When required, a cigarette is taken from the box and the box then placed to one side leaving the lower section exposed to receive ash.      Centrally, in the ashtray, there is a dome shaped hump presumably used to stub out the cigarette, and I'd guess this also serves to provide a stable base for the box when joined.

The catalogue indicates available in flint satin finish (pattern only)  -  as is often the case, dimension aren't provided.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2019, 10:28:03 PM »
This is the same dish shape and catalogue No. used earlier as part of the 'crinoline lady' centre piece set.

Registration 801662 dated 30.03.1935 - dish - catalogue No. 2596.

Whether the bowl used for the crinoline lady set is identical to this one - in terms of surface decoration - I don't know.     Looking at the original photo which was sent to the BoT  - as here - it shows some form of abstract surface patterning.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2019, 12:16:51 AM »
The mould for the ashtray base of the 2598 set later ended up at Davidson's. They issued it in marble glass during the sixties with an added Davidson lion mark (along with the original moulded reg. no.!). These seem to have been made with a different baseplate or plunger as they lack the bulge in the base. The Davidson reissue is very scarce. Bernard Cavalot first told me about them. After ten years searching I finally found an example. The original Jobling production seems equally scarce: I've never seen one offered for sale.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2019, 01:57:41 AM »
Pics of the Davidson issued 2598 ashtray set base. The piece is pretty small - about 7 cm square (including the protruding pattern) by about 3.5 cm tall:

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2019, 11:54:20 AM »
Re: reply #74: - Registration 801662 dated 30.03.1935 - dish - catalogue No. 2596.

Photo of a tortoiseshell (unfrosted amber cloud) example at
http://cloudglass.com/Joblingcat.htm
with the following description:
Jobling Pattern No:  2596
Known Cloud Colours: Tortoiseshell
Size(s): 11.75 inches diameter
Date Range:  1935 to ?
Description:  Large shallow dish with a raised pattern of curving lines. Jobling registered this design (No 801662) on 30th March 1935. The raised pattern on this bowl is a combination of the Walther Orla and Rotterdam designs!
The Purple trails are very dark, almost black.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »
adding to Steven's helpful comments on the original Jobling two piece cigarette holder/ashtray  -  who knows what reason have created this level of scarcity for some designs.          I like the marbled offering from Davidson - possibly what the guys over the pond call blackberries and cream. :)

thanks for that information Fred  -  always very useful to have additional details, particularly as I tend to overlook some sites that have Jobling information, such as the Stewart's, for example.

the invitation to add relevant details applies to everyone - all useful comments are appreciated, and every little helps as they say.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2019, 01:16:11 PM »
At long last, the thread for unregistered Jobling designs and uncatalogued variants of registered designs is now up and running here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,69028.0.html  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand