No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WFs vase in Kingfisher.  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
WFs vase in Kingfisher.
« on: August 10, 2019, 05:44:56 PM »
though I no longer buy glass, when you see this in a charity shop for two quid you don't leave it behind.         One of Mr. Baxter's creations from around 1960 - 63, in what looks to be pattern No. 9063, in kingfisher - described as 'Angular mould-blown soda vase'.         An identical shape/pattern No. is shown on plate 148 first item (page 136), in the small WFs book edited by Leslie Jackson - kingfisher isn't shown as one of the colours on plate 148 - but the colour looks to be a match with item iv on plate 147 - height of this one is c. 142 mm.             Height in the book is given as c. 13.2 cms., which is presumably within acceptable limits.
Don't think I've seen a kingfisher (the bird) more than two or three times over the years, but the flash of colour is what you remember most, and this WFs colour comes very close to the blue of the bird.

No need for discussion, unless you wish -  this is just for show as assume unlikely to have been many of these on the Board.       Thought I'd nearly blinded myself taking the pix  -  using a multipoint LED back light and spending some minutes in a slightly darkened area, my sight became blurred and jagged for half and hour or so until the optic nerve calmed down - pehaps at my age I should take pix of such strident colours!

Ref.  'Whitefriars Glass - The Art of James Powell & Sons' - 1996 - Leslie Jackson.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: WFs vase in Kingfisher.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 07:29:32 PM »
Great photos and it's a gorgeous colour.  Good find :)

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »
apologies - pattern No. is 9603 not wot I said  -  dixleksea now, as well as damaged eyesight. ;)                  thanks m  -  kingfisher makes for a stunning colour with good backlight  -  but not quite first rate pix - it's that old problem of the line splitting the image that shouldn't be there.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:45:43 PM »
just thought I'd add another example of this 9603 pattern - golden amber, obviously, and c. 5.5 inches high, and the book suggests made around 1960 - 62.       Not good subjects for photography - the optical effects of the glass make for problems, but hopefully good enough.
I've added here in view of the same pattern No., but if it's in the wrong place it can be moved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand