No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lovely Green Jug - rough pontil  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Beege

• Members
  • The beauty of sand astounds me!
    • Collectibles
    • Great Britain
Lovely Green Jug - rough pontil
« on: November 17, 2019, 02:38:31 PM »
Hallo all.
This is rather a nice 5.5" green jug.
The glass has lots of streaks and a few circular 'flaws', the pontil is quite uneven and a little rough.
Can anybody please help me to identify the maker and possible age?
Thank you.
Jack

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Lovely Green Jug - rough pontil
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 03:00:01 PM »
Hello Jack  -  whilst your jug has the appearance of having been made in the C19, I'm sure that it's appearance only that's connecting it with Victoriana.        The world of glass is awash with designs that imitate earlier shapes and designs, and regret to say that finding a maker is almost certainly a non-starter  -   as for age this may depend to some extent on wear.           Is there any noticeable wear on the base where the foot would contact a surface?
What looks like a top down handle, and the sharp pontil scar are found on much C20 glass made to imitate Victorian pieces, and what looks like an ice lip (though it appears a tad wide) I would hazard a guess was never found on C19 glass.

Your jug is attractive insofar as it has an antique appearance, but if you bought this because you believed it was old, then IMHO I think you have been misled.           How did you acquire this piece?

Of course, I could be wrong  -  let's see what others might suggest. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Beege

• Members
    • Collectibles
    • Great Britain
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 04:23:38 PM »
Hi Paul.
Many thanks for your detailed response, you're most kind.
I purchased this jug (for a very small amount) simple because I thought it an attractive thing. Whilst I sometimes sell things, otherwise I would be overrun by glass and ceramics, most of the pleasure for me is the discovery of new knowledge. I am aware of the pontil history and, of course, how this does not necessarily identify age. However, the colour and dimensions make it attractive and I thought it may be interesting to identify its origins.
There is a ring of small scratches around the base where the jug contacts an external surface, but whether these are sufficient to help support a reasonable age is beyond my knowledge.
Regards

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 05:26:29 PM »
Jack  -  your reasons for buying are probably the most sensible  -  a lot of folk (including me at times) lack that degree of common sense, and we buy often because we believe something is valuable or genuinely old, and that's a reasoning that sometimes lets us down.
Buying because you like something is always worthwhile, and it's a bonus if the outlay is small.

discovering the provenance/attribution/age of glass that's of an excessively common and abundant style/shape - and into the bargain lacks any label or backstamp - is usually a complete non-starter as to maker or origin, unfortunately.               Glad you like this jug  -  there's no doubt it is copying an earlier design - and it makes sense to use the piece.
Is your collecting policy for C19 glass, or do you collect anything and everything - provided it appeals?

Offline Beege

• Members
    • Collectibles
    • Great Britain
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 10:10:53 PM »
Anything and everything Paul...
I've recently been interested in Finnish glass, yet love the glass by Ed Iglehart also attracts me, etc, etc.
I should imagine it is a remarkable and difficult medium to work with and I admire skills.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
Most likely Pilgrim Glass Co. circa 1960's. West Virginia [state] U.S.A. Made a wide variety of handblown glass in many colors and types 1950's- 1970's . Two other companies   also located in West Virginia made very similar glassware in the same time period. Rainbow Art Glass Co. and Kanawha Art Glass Co.

Offline Beege

• Members
    • Collectibles
    • Great Britain
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »
Thanks for this cagney, you've identified some names I am unaware of.
I'll have a look at the work by these firms.
Kind regards
Jack

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand