No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: charity shop finds.  (Read 21720 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: charity shop finds.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »
quote     .....................…    "So.......probably not much help to you at all really."  -  no!!  you're dead right - it's already gone back to the charity shop :'(           why didn't you tell me sooner? ;) ;)

I'm joking cat  -  but have to say had I known it was Nazeing when it was mine I think I'd have kept it.            Over the years I've seen a fair amount from that factory, but as they come in dribs and drabs  -  and since I'm horrendously impatient - I almost always let them go after taking some snaps, though have to say I've seen very few of their pieces in recent times.          Think I now have only a single vase.   I like the random sort of way that the colouring/bubbles are used  -  they're appealing with a mid C20 old style appearance.

Nazeing produced a few pieces  -  mainly lamp bases and some squat round vases  -  that use pronounced ribs as both vertical and horizontal forms of decoration, but this particular design doesn't appear in Geoff Timberlake's book. but then it does seems that much material is absent.

thanks for the  'thought that counts' ;)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 10:14:35 PM »
It may be gone.....but the memory lingers on, and I spotted this alternative theory on page 5 of the Wuidart Catalogue.  It gives a height of 170mm but, unfortunately, i can't find a height mentioned in the thread.  DId you happen to measure it?

https://whitefriars-glass.com/wuidart.php
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 08:16:25 AM »
gosh, you want dimensions too  ………………………..     I'm good, as you know, but that would be stretching my efficiency. ;)            Sorry cat, nope, didn't make a note of size which ordinarily I would if I'd been posting a single item  ……….   the fact that I was doing a 'bunch' of things meant that my usual methodology went by the board.            However, sincere thanks for pursuing this matter, and always of interest to see data from various makers.

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2020, 11:05:14 PM »
Just dropped in and thought I'd check backward through the posts. I'm haven't read this in detail, for some reason although I want to, my mind is concentrating properly  ???

The turquoise blue does seem to come from what I call the 'Elwell era', that is the third period of Nazeing art glass. Sorry about the convoluted description, it made sense to me at the time and is something that is not always easy to describe.

The amber bubbled piece is a known S&W shape. Stop concentrating on the bubbles and add in the other factors that I know many of you already know  ;) :) However, it is NOT Keith Murray. They are working on hope rather than a reference, since it certainly does not appear in the KM Description Book.

The green horizontally ribbed green pieces may well also be S&W, but I can't get the detail I need from the base shot properly, sorry.

T Webb, S&W and Gray-Stan all supplied Elwell with glass. They also bought from Czechoslovakia.

EDIT:
Oh, Geoff published what he could at the time. It did include ribbed pieces, both vertical and horizontal, but not how you're discussing them here perhaps. The vertical tends to be pre-war and on transparent coloured piece, whereas the horizontal is raised, almost applied, and post war.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand