No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pulled ear with pulled neck  (Read 2799 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Pulled ear with pulled neck
« on: November 22, 2019, 08:38:37 PM »
A friend send me these today asking for advice not really my area. I know it's a pulled ear presume quite early with the button rim? the height is 6.5" without the neck at the shoulder is 4.5" so probably around 5" without the pulled neck. I have searched the board and the internet but cannot fond anything similar any thoughts? A couple of photos in the album. I will re-size the photos and add them tomorrow

Thanks Chris

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOcywWGgOybkCPQ6EX51iB6mRrWYRlPah3Ncjui

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Pulled ear with pulled neck
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 08:53:58 PM »
Pictures added

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
The base colour looks like the slightly later deeper "jewell-like" shade Mark describes. Variations on the normal shape of pulled ear vases are known. I have a vase with a wide neck and have seen them on other shapes too.
I'd suspect it's not a true "button" rim, which were more the outcome of not knowing how to do rims properly, so pre-Boffo, but just a thicker than normal one. Probably from during the time Vicente Boffo was still there.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 03:00:20 PM »
Nothing special then I told him it looked an  interesting piece  having seen a lot over the years but never one like this with the long neck  :o

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »
It is interesting, and might be special to somebody as one of the more unusual pulled-ear shapes.
I do get a Boffo feel from the way the colours are worked - but a Boffo would often be training an apprentice while they were working, wouldn't they?

It might have been an apprentice who was responsible for finishing the flange.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline mdina glass

• Members
    • Mdina glass.
    • South Yorkshire.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »
Hi Chriscooper,
I knew about this piece way before it went on any face book forum and on here and did put in a very good offer on the piece via Richard Anderson so if it does come up for sale please keep me in mind.
Regards kev.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand