No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Oldish or modern ?  (Read 986 times)

Offline Andreadb

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italy
    • MDZ Antiques
Oldish or modern ?
« on: November 26, 2019, 05:52:22 PM »
Hello again !

Since I have found a kind lot of experts, I'll keep on asking questions...

The vase of these pictures is rather small, 12 cm high. It is in the style of the Kralik/Loetz production from the first half of the XX century, but there are no matching designs on the sites dedicated to those producers.

Can anybody identify the origin ?

Thank you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Oldish or modern ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 05:59:22 PM »
I think this is old. But I don't know what. I don't think it's Loetz or Kralik though.
This shade of blue is not commonly found in their work and I don't think the quality is quite there either.
There are others here who know far more about that sort of thing than I do. I hope somebody can help you.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 03:19:14 PM »
I presume it's just an awkward photograph and that the base has a polished pontil mark?
I think the quality looks fine for Loetz if it is a Loetz piece (I don't know if it is and haven't time to look at the moment).  It's very beautiful and a gorgeous colour with the gold iridescence.
I had a quick look at Glasfabrik Elisabeth, Kosten bei Teplitz pieces but couldn't see anything in the same decor.  There is an Art Nouveau vase around in that blue though which has an applied decor to it (however I cannot now remember if the peculiar decor on the one I've seen online was identified firmly as Glasfabrik Elisabeth or was still in question as Kralik).

If I recall correctly I thought Loetz did  a kind of red and gold striped iridescent decor,which is what this reminded me of when I first saw it.

I would agree with Sue that this blue is unusual because I don't come across it online very much in this area of Art Nouveau glass.

Offline Andreadb

• Members
    • Italy
    • MDZ Antiques
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 03:44:19 PM »
Unfortunately it is difficult to take good pictures of this type of glass...plus the small size allowed by the forum, makes it even worse to see details.
I tried with a couple more pictures, attached.

However you saw it right: there is no pontil mark at all: the "texture" of the bottom of the vase is very much alike the rest of its surface. The external perimeter of the base is slightly ground (machined), to make it flat.
I guess this indicates that the piece is mould blown ? There are also no signs of mould joints.

Loetz is also the first guess i would come up with, but without a matching reference, it is difficult to be certain.

If you manage to dig out more, let me know. In the meantime, thank you for taking the time to answer so far.

Andrea

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 04:02:43 PM »
Your pictures can be much higher resolution. You are allowed 125kb per picture (yours are just over a tenth that size). The trick is to crop a high-res photo and then to resize so that the longest dimension is about 700 pixels

Offline Andreadb

• Members
    • Italy
    • MDZ Antiques
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »
Thank you for the advice on the photos.
I was resizing them automatically and didn't realize how small they were becoming. In any case, the camera finds it difficult to focus properly on iridescent glass and even at higher resolutions i can't make better pictures.

In any case, as mentioned before, there is no pontil at all.

Let me know if you manage to find out more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand