No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Rooster Label on Murano Bird.  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
Blue Rooster Label on Murano Bird.
« on: November 26, 2019, 09:34:15 PM »
Just found this bird in the wild and took it home. I recognize the label (through eroded) as the same one pictured below. A (metallic) shield with the word Murano at the top and a blue rooster in the middle.
Last time I researched one of these I concluded that this was an earlier (50's?) generic label probably used by several factories and possibly pre-ceding the first 'registration scheme' which also featured a blue cockerel with a factory identification (two letters). On this label there seems to be a space (for a 'name') under 'Murano', but I never saw an example with anything written there.
Can anybody shed more light. Looks like it could be Salviati (who AFAIK didn't label most of their production in this period?)? Other 'names in the frame'? Any other examples of this label for comparison?
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Blue Rooster Label on Murano Bird.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 05:09:23 AM »
Hello Jay.  He's very handsome.  Can't help with the label, but Have you had a trawl through the amazing Murano Zoo? 

https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/home

I can see some similarity with the tail feathers on my recently idententified Seguso piece, on the thread "Murano gold bird", so maybe start with the five pages of Seguso birds.

Look forward to seeing what you find out.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
Re: Blue Rooster Label on Murano Bird.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:13:32 AM »
You prompted me to make a second scan of the MuranoZoo, but I don't see anything helpful. No examples with this foot, and not really anything notable as being with the same techniques.
What I DID notice in the zoo was the label Segus VDA label which features a white bar!! This DOES look like a link between the two!
I've asked several times why the label (on mine) has a white bar that seems to be there for some handwritten text (number), and it looks like Seguso also did this! (briefly).
Perhaps it was their idea to combine the makers label and the stock-number?!
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand