No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Unregistered Art Glass Designs and Uncatalogued Variants  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Jobling Unregistered Art Glass Designs and Uncatalogued Variants
« on: December 07, 2019, 11:55:05 AM »
The purpose of this thread is to list those Jobling designs which appear not to have been registered, as well as to catalogue those variants of known (and sometimes registered) designs which are not well documented. It's intended to complement to Paul's fantastic thread listing the registered designs (thread here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,68944.0.html).

The period covered is approximately 1932-47. I will begin by listing items in rough chronologial order, however, this is not always possible for those designs which aren't featured in catalogues or known adverts.

I don't have photos of all the designs, and would be very grateful if other collectrs could share photos of the missing items.

There is some confusion as to what patterns were included in the Art Glass range. For example, while not catalogued, the earlier 1054 pattern bowl was produced in jade from 1933 and was the original choice of float bowl to accompany the 2541 statue. Likewise the 2077 pattern predates the introduction of the art glass range but was also made in jade and catalogued alongside the newer designs. I am aiming to be as inclusive as possible to make this list more useful to collectors. However, there will likely be omissions as I am not that familiar with other Jobling flint lines which might have been produced alongside the art glass range.

There is a list of unregistered designs on p. 53 of Baker and Crowe but this is not exhaustive.

So, on with the first batch. These designs were launched between 1932 and 33 and were shown in an advert in the Pottery Gazette dated September 1st 1933 (reproduced on p. 6 of Baker & Crowe):

Jobling B1 Lambton Vase. Shown in the 1934 catalogue and in the 1937 catalogue paired with a chrome cap supporting a light fitting and shade. This is a large mould-blown vase, very much in the French style. This pattern appears in all of the art glass colours, including Jet (opaque black) and Pearl (opaque white lighting glass), with or without a slight surface iridescence. Jet and Pearl were likely limited to early production and are not mentioned in the 1934 catalogue. First example in jet with iridescent finish, second in pink with satin finish to exterior.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Jobling Unregistered Art Glass Designs and Uncatalogued Variants
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »
Next design from the September 1933 advert in PG: 2541 Statue and Block (frog).

There are two distinct versions of this figure, the earlier one having rather blobby looking 'flowers' moulded at the rear, the later having no flowers.. The two versions are shown on p.49 of Baker & Crowe, but they are shown from the front so the difference is less obvious.

There are at least three different flower blocks (frogs) which were paired with this figure. The early type is a solid block with two rows of small holes and a central bung type fitting. This seems to have been prone to cracking. Another early type has the same profile but fewer, slightly larger flower holes alternating with small holes. By the time of the 1934 catalogue, a newer frog had been introduced, this being a much lighter pressing and with a shallower well to take the figure. Figures for use with this block typically have a shorter base fitting rather than the elongated bung on earlier versions.

A fourth variant is the early style frog but with a stepped hole for the figure. Figures paired with this block have a narrower peg fitting below the base (visible on the amber version below).

1. Later style 2541 Statue and Block in jade glass with Fir Cone bowl and black (jet) 2535L plinth
2. Early style 2541 Statue mounted on modern wooden base
3. Detail of later jade figure showing the lack of flowers and the shorter fitting
4. Detail of the early amber figure showing the flowers and peg fitting base

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »
A couple more very early examples of the 2541 statue and block:

1. Below centre: a jade set with a cupped 1054 bowl: most of these early sets have the low-cupped float bowl from the 1054 suite. The frog is the solid type with fewer, alternating size holes.

Link to Bernard Cavalot's early example, this with the 1054 low-cupped float bowl and solid type block with two roles of small holes:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10318/DSCF0016~0.jpg

There are two related patterns to 1054: 1054 1/2 which is identical but lacks the star to the base and 1055 which has an intaglio design of fruit to the base. All are typically mirror polished on the base (with the exception of iridised examples).

The 1054 pattern was produced in black glass with a strong iridescence. An example is shown in a mid thirties PG advert along with several pieces from the art glass range.

2. 1055 bowl in uranium glass
3. 1054 plate in black with strong iridescence

More info on Jobling iridised glass and the 1054 and related patterns here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30678.0.html

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
Next item: 2535 plinth. The 2535L fits the B1 Lambton Vase and the larger sizes of the Fir Cone, Flower, Tudor Rose and Oyster Shell bowls. A version was also produced to fit the mid size Fir Cone and Flower/ Smaller Tudor Rose and Oyster shell bowls. These plinths appear to be the same size, but the version for the smaller bowls has a thicker rim at the tope to locate the narrower foot of the matching bowls. Plinths were produced in black (most common) or in the standard colours, with or without frosting.

A variant with a raised centre was produced for the bowl to accompany the Crinoline Lady -- this bowl's foot rim sits over the plinth, not inside it as on other sets. Finally a tiny version of the regular style plinth was made to accompany the small 2077 bowl (see pl. viii, p. 19 of Baker & Crowe).

2535 Plinth supporting a mid-sized 6000 Flower pattern bowl:

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 01:12:52 PM »
Final installment for today: the Fir Cone and Flower Pattern vases.

While bowls and plates in these patterns are relatively common, vases were also produced from moulds created in-house (Baker & Crowe, p. 12). Only the Fir Cone vase is shown in the September 1933 advert, however, Flower pattern vases were also produced. Both are scarce, but the Flower Pattern vase seems the rarer of the two.

To date I have seen Fir Cone vases in opalique, pink, green, blue and amber. the standard colours appear to have been available with satin finish as an option. I have only seen two Flower Pattern vases, one in unfrosted opalique and one in amber with a satin finish. Sadly I do not have any pictures of the flower vase, so I'd be grateful if someone could help out here. The flower pattern vase has the same form and similar proportions to the fir cone vase.

The vases are quite large, my opalique example measures approximately 24 cm tall, though height can vary somewhat depending on how widely the rim has been flanged. Neither vase appears in Jobling's known trade catalogues.

A Fower Pattern vase in Opalique:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 02:47:30 PM »
to say simply thanks Steven is a vast under-statement  -  your exhaustive contribution will be of benefit for a long time to come, I'm sure.
Very much looking forward to further installments :)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 01:10:59 AM »
The next design to add is an uncatalogued variant of the 6000 Flower Pattern suite of tableware: namely a two-part salad drainer.

These are based on the mid-sized bowl and plate. However, the bowl has a modified base incorporating three drainage holes and three small feet to support it above the underplate. The new base does not feature the registration number. So far I have seen these in green (uranium) and in blue glass, both with polished (non-frosted) finish. The underplate seems to have come from the standard mould but has been given a more dished/ concave profile than regular Jobling plates -- presumably to let the water pool in the middle.

This picture on Wayne's 20th Century Glass site shows the base changes more clearly: https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/images/items/artdeco_glass/jobling_glass/joblingglass_flowerbowl11.jpg

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 12:42:16 AM »
Continuing the theme of uncatalogued variants of tableware patterns, the next item is a cake plate/ tazza based on the 5000 Fir Cone pattern. It consists of a mid-sized crimped plate with a simple metal foot attached by a central screw. So far I have only seen these in green with a satin finish. For the most part the plate is identical to the regular crimped plate, however, it was moulded with a different base plate giving an attachment point for the foot. The attachment point consists of a thin central 'hole' which could be easily drilled through, circled by a ring of thicker glass, presumably to act as reinforcement. Sadly I don't have a photo of this variant. It is however quite common: I suspect it was a production item for a while -- maybe a special order, hence its absence from the catalogues.

There were also variants of the 7000 bird pattern produced. The most common of these being a plate with three crimps, often seen in opalique, though I have also seen a pink satin version. Rarer still is a version with 5 crimps -- I've only seen one and it was in blue with a satin finish. I also once owned a flanged bowl in this pattern: again in blue with a satin finish adn the only one I have ever seen. The 3 crimp plate may have been a short-lived production piece or special order. I'm not sure about the others -- given their rarity I am inclined to think they were trials/ friggers.

The mould used is the regular one, however the three birds have a flat polished portion on their bodies, presumably from where the piece was stuck up to shape it.

1. 3-crimp bird plate in opalique
2. Base showing ground and polished areas on birds
3. Flanged bird bowl
4. Side view of flanged bowl to show profile

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 01:07:09 AM »
This design may predate the Art Glass range, however, examples are included in the display at Sunderland Museum, and this particular example is in the same honey amber colour as my small Bird and Panel vase.

It's a six-sided ashtray with three moulded in cigarette rests. This example is a promotional one with moulded text advertising Jobling. However, I believe the ashtray was also available without text and I suspect it would also have been customisable with whatever text or logo the customer ordered (as I believe was also the case with the 2497 'Cigarette Box and Ash Tray Combined').

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 12:12:49 PM »
Here's my white one from your first post.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand