No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart footed bowl, shape W? Uncatalogued size?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
Monart footed bowl, shape W? Uncatalogued size?
« on: December 08, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »
I bought this gold aventurine footed bowl thinking it might be Monart. It is very similar to shape W according to Frank Andrews' catalogue of Monart shapes. However, it is smaller than listed in the catalogue at 17 cm maximum diameter and 9 cm high. The pontil mark has been shallowly hollowed out. Is this Monart or something else? Thanks for your help.

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
Re: Monart footed bowl, shape W? Uncatalogued size?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:53:29 PM »
The shape and the foot look right for Monart. For me, the colouring is unusual and difficult to understand as the images look like they've been cut out and somehow it looks sort of artificial. Sorry about that!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 03:49:02 PM »
The colours look as if they are produced using silver salts which react with the hot glass during making. WMF used silver salts sometimes.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 10:46:19 PM »
It's not that Sue, it's about what is clear, or white. Because the background isn't associated with the piece, I can't tell what's what I'm afraid :(

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 03:01:11 PM »
The colours on the base looks very Hortensja, the silver salt surface decorated pieces from the '80s, or even the older stuff Hortensja was emulating (I've forgotten the name).

The white and aventurine doesn't fit in with Hortensja. And I really can't imagine that they'd be used in combination with the silver salts designs in WMF either.   ::)

I think we really do need clearer images. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand